This section is for fire departments: national, state, local; or tribal organizations that represent the interests of firefighters. The section contains information on the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants program, application assistance tools, previous grant awards, grant statistics, and more.
The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants (SAFER) was created to provide funding directly to fire departments and volunteer firefighter interest organizations to help them increase or maintain the number of trained, "front line" firefighters available in their communities. The goal of SAFER is to enhance the local fire departments' abilities to comply with staffing, response and operational standards established by the NFPA (NFPA 1710 and/or NFPA 1720). For details visit http://www.nfpa.org/freeaccess.
SAFER Program Update
- FY 2013 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Award Announcements Are Underway. View award list
- To receive a SAFER grant award, you must be registered and have up-to-date information in the online System for Award Management (Sam.gov) registration is required of all AFG Program applicants and awardees. Please go to SAM.gov/portal/public/SAM/ and follow the FAQs and User Guides for help in completing the registration process.
- SAFER Success Stories
- If you are not currently receiving the free biweekly AFG Program E-Mail Alerts, be sure to sign up now on the E-Mail Alert signup page.
FY 2013 Application Assistance Tools
FY 2013 SAFER Get Ready Guides
These guides will help you be prepared to answer Hiring, Recruitment and Retention application questions.
- 2013 SAFER FOA Opportunity Announcement
- 2013 SAFER General Get Ready Guide
- 2013 SAFER Hiring General Get Ready Guide
- 2013 SAFER Recruitment & Retention Fire Departments Get Ready Guide
- 2013 SAFER Recruitment & Retention Interest Organizations Get Ready Guide
- 2013 SAFER Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
FY 2013 SAFER Grant Self-Evaluation Sheets
SAFER Self-Evaluation Sheets have been developed based on the scoring criteria used by peer reviewers. These tools will help you assess your organization's readiness to apply for a grant.
- 2013 SAFER Recruitment & Retention Interest Organizations Self Evaluation
- 2013 SAFER Hiring Self-Evaluation
- 2013 SAFER Recruitment & Retention Fire Departments Self-Evaluation
AFG Program VIDEOS
While the AFG Program Office strives to make the information contained in these videos as timely and accurate as possible, the videos were not intended to be used as substitutes for reading the latest Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) or guidance documents. The AFG program office makes no promises, claims or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the contents of these videos and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the contents of these videos.
- SAFER Grant Recruitment and Retention Video
- FY 2010 SAFER Grant Program Video
SAFER Grants Management 101 Webinar
- Topics discussed include:
- Periods of performance
- Payment requests
- Performance report requirements
System for Award Management (SAM) Registration is Required to Apply or Receive a Grant Award
- Applicants that have not completed the SAM registration process, or have not completed the required annual renewal and revalidation of data, will not be able to draw grant funds, or submit grant amendment requests. Every eligible grantee must have their SAM.gov account validated through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and have their CAGE (Commercial and Government Entity) code validated. These validations are conducted as part of the registration process after the organization has submitted their SAM.gov registration.
- Please click here to complete the SAM registration as soon as possible. For questions about SAM, contact your State Assigned Grants Management Specialists or visit our SAM resource page.
- SAM.gov is administered through the Government Services Administration (GSA). Technical assistance may be obtained through the Federal Service Desk at 866-606-8220.