The publications listed below have been developed by the Building Science Branch of FEMA's Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (FIMA) and offer information about safe rooms.
Articles, Publications and Documents
Contains relevant stories regarding safe room utilization.
Publications and Documents
Below is a list of helpful guides regarding safe rooms.
- Taking Shelter From the Storm: Building a Safe Room Inside Your Home or Small Business (FEMA P-320)
- Taking Shelter From the Storm: Building a Safe Room Inside Your Home or Small Business (FEMA L-233 Brochure)
- Design and Construction Guidance for Community Safe Rooms (FEMA P-361)
- Safe Room and Community Shelter Resources CD (FEMA 388 CD)
- Tornado Protection: Selecting Refuge Areas in Buildings (FEMA P-431)
- Design Guidance for Shelters and Safe Rooms (FEMA 453)
- Formal Observation Report - Tornato: Moore, Oklahoma, May 20, 2013 (FEMA P-1020)
- Community Safe Room Fact Sheet
- Residential Safe Room Fact Sheet
- Residential Tornado Safe Room Doors Fact Sheet
- 2007 Tornados in Florida Recovery Advisories
- 2007 Tornadoes in Kansas Recovery Advisories
- 2011 Tornadoes Recovery Advisories
- FEMA Building Science Resources to Assist with Reconstruction after 2013 Tornadoes Flyer
- Tornado Safety Initiative: Saving Lives When Tornadoes Strike Fact Sheet