This page provides information about the National Mass Care Strategy, which provides guidance to state, tribal, local and other national mass care stakeholders regarding the provision of mass care services.
National Mass Care Strategy
Subsequent to the signing of the Memorandum of Agreement between the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the American Red Cross on
October 22, 2010, emerged the formation of the National Mass Care Council (Council). The National Mass Care Council convened on June 10, 2011 for its inaugural meeting.
The Council is Co-Chaired by the American Red Cross, FEMA, the National Emergency Management Association (NEMA) and the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (National VOAD) and is comprised of Council members from Big City Emergency Managers, Department of Health and Human Services, Feeding America, North American Mission Board – Southern Baptist Convention and The Salvation Army.
The Council serves as the steering body for the development and sponsorship of the National Mass Care Strategy (Strategy). The Strategy:
- Provides a framework to enhance coordination among state, tribal, local and other national mass care stakeholders;
- Promotes a unified approach to the delivery of mass care services in order to create a more extensive mass care response capability throughout the nation;
- Highlights courses of action that may be taken to improve delivery of mass care services to the Nation;
- Provides for five strategic goals to increase capabilities and capacities of the Whole Community to respond to a vast range of emergencies and disasters; and
- Supports the National Response Framework and Emergency Support Function #6 – Mass Care, Emergency Assistance, Temporary Housing and Human Services Annex.
The National Mass Care Strategy will focus on:
- Sheltering (including household pets)
- Distribution of emergency supplies
- Family reunification services
- Immediate health, emotional and spiritual health services
- Access to information
On November 4, 2011, the National Mass Care Council launched the official National Mass Care Strategy website. The website provides a broad range of resources and documents related to mass care coordination efforts, including the Council’s mission statement and other charter documents, as well as the NMCS Webinar Series, training updates and white papers and documents relevant to strengthening the Community of Mass Care Practitioners.
FEMA HQ Points of Contact:
- Marc Millican, Individual Assistance, Acting Director
- Suzi Cowie, Individual Assistance, Mass Care/Emergency Assistance, Branch Chief
- National Mass Care Strategy Website (www.nationalmasscarestrategy.org)
- For information about the Council, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
02/19/2015 - 12:03