National Mass Care Strategy
Subsequent to the signing of the Memorandum of Agreement between the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the American Red Cross on October 22, 2010, emerged the formation of the Mass Care Council (Council). The National Mass Care Council convened on June 10, 2011 for its inaugural meeting.
The Council is Co-Chaired by the American Red Cross, FEMA and the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (National VOAD) and is comprised of representatives from Federal Emergency Management Agency, American Red Cross, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters (National VOAD), International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM), Salvation Army, Southern Baptist Convention, Feeding America, Adventist Community Services and rotating members from the private sector, faith-based organizations, non-profits, and academia.
The Council will serve as the steering body for the development and sponsorship of a National Mass Care Strategy (Strategy). The Strategy will:
- Provide a unified approach to the delivery of mass care services to the whole communities by establishing common goals that foster inclusive and collaborative planning, and pooling expertise;
- Offer a resource of tools for Federal, State, local, and tribal governments, as well as, non-profits, community organizations, and the private sector to leverage from covering topic areas on operations/strategy; examining scalable models;
- Highlight common training and exercises to educate the whole community on national mass care capabilities;
- Establish methodologies for coordinating/communicating, needs assessment, and planning during activation.
On November 4, 2011, the National Mass Care Council launched the official “National Mass Care Strategy” website. The National Mass Care Strategy website provides a broad range of resources documents related to mass care coordination efforts, including the Council’s mission statement and other charter documents, meeting minutes and planning group updates, as well as, documents relevant to the development of a Mass Care Strategy.
FEMA HQ Points of Contact:
Michael Grimm, Individual Assistance, Director
Waddy Gonzalez, Individual Assistance, Mass Care/Emergency Assistance, Branch Chief
- National Mass Care Strategy Website (https://nmcs.communityos.org/cms/node/42)
- For information about the Council, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org