FEMA's Methodology for Estimating Potential Losses from Disasters
The growing network of Hazus User groups has proved to be a valuable mechanism for creating partnerships between public and private sector organizations and industry in which mutually beneficial alliances are formed, goals and objectives developed and projects identified and executed. User groups throughout the country have found enormous benefits and opportunities to develop successful projects through collaboration, combining resources and the sharing of information, data and tips on software usage.
Hazus User Groups continue to be a primary channel for collaboration and for disseminating Hazus information throughout the U.S. If you are interested in forming or joining a Hazus User Group, please contact the Hazus Outreach team at email@example.com. For additional information, please contact Eric Berman at 202-646-3427 or email Eric.Berman@fema.dhs.gov.
Hazus Excellence Award Winners
Each quarter, FEMA will spotlight the contributions of a Hazus user who has provided exceptional services to the expansion of the Hazus program. This individual may be a user, a developer, a trainer or anyone who has been involved in adding value to Hazus. For example, you may nominate someone that has recently started using Hazus for innovative projects, has created or participated in a Hazus User Group (HUG) or that has prepared or taught a new Hazus course. To nominate a Hazus Excellence Award Winner, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Conference Calls
Hazus User Group calls are open to everyone and take place from 3:00 PM-4:00PM (ET) on the 2nd Tuesday of every month unless otherwise stipulated.
Call for Participation – We would love your future participation as a presenter during calls. We welcome a wide range of topics. Examples could include:
- Best practices, lessons learned and innovations in using Hazus
- Results seen from using Hazus
- Local User Group updates and summaries of interesting topics
To participate in a call please contact the Hazus Outreach team at email@example.com.
List of Hazus User Groups
Hazus Success Stories
- Success Story: Five Classrooms and Four Time Zones Combined for the Inaugural Virtual Basic Hazus Class
Other User Group Resources
- How to Create a Hazus User Group (April 2002)
- Florida Hazus User Group Data Update Project
- Hazus User Groups Handout
- Hazus-MH Best Practices: State of Florida
- Indiana Flood GRID - Hazus Silver Jackets
- Outreach flyers
- National Hazus User Group Conference Calls on iTunes (search the Podcast section of iTunes for 'Hazus Community')
- ESRI Speaker Series Podcast: Hazus-MH Web Course Series Developers Discuss Release of New Courses and Related Activities
- Podcast: Hazus Program Manager, Eric Berman, records a podcast discussing Hazus, Risk MAP, and Hazus’ partnership with the Canadian Government
Since the early 1990s, when Hazus development was initiated, there has been considerable interest within the international community in the application of the Hazus loss estimation methodology and software application for international use. The National Institute for Building Sciences (NIBS) has led efforts on behalf of FEMA to evaluate steps that need to be taken to develop an internationally applicable version of Hazus.
To learn more visit: