Keep up with the latest developments and find out what's new in Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) policy. Follow the links below to view or download current HMA policies as well as policies of other Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration divisions that affect HMA funding.
For more information on basic program elements, please reference the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Program Digest.
To get information on archived policies, please contact us at FEMA-HMA-Grants-Policy@fema.dhs.gov.
Hazard Mitigation Assistance Policy Publications
The following policies guide project-type requirements and general eligibility requirements under the HMA programs.
HMA-Related Policy Publications
The following Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration policies directly impact HMA funding availability and project eligibility:
Current HMA Policy Publications
FEMA Policy FP-108-024-01 Consideration of Environmental Benefits in the Evaluation of Acquisition Projects under the Hazard Mitigation Programs 6/18/2013
Disaster Specific Policy
Pilot Activity for Hurricane Sandy Major Disaster Declarations
- Elevated Foundation System 03/18/2013
If you are interested in applying for a Hazard Mitigation Assistance grant under this policy, please contact the Hazard Mitigation Assistance helpline by telephone 866-222-3580 or email FEMA-HMA-Grants-Policy@fema.dhs.gov for more information.
Based on unique circumstances after Hurricane Katrina and Rita, several disaster specific policies were provided. Many of these policies respond to legislative changes.
- Floodplain Management Ordinances. Provides Guidance on eligibility of costs for compliance with local floodplain management ordinances. 4/13/2007
- Procurement requirements for Homeowners hiring contractors HMGP 10/19/2007
- DHS Response to SMART Response Act 1/30/2008
- Louisiana Flood Recovery Guidance for Reconstruction 2/1/2008
- Non-federal cost share changes to HMGP for Hurricane Katrina Declarations DR-1602-FL, 1603-LA, 1604-MS and 1605-AL 10/4/2010
On October 16, 2007, based on unique circumstances in Louisiana and Mississippi after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, Office of Management & Budget (OMB) Circulars granted a waiver to FEMA from OMB Circular A-87 pertaining to pre-award costs to allow for approval of costs incurred prior to award of HMGP funds.
FLOOD MITIGATION POLICY
FEMA Policy 203-074-1, Minimum Design Standards for Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Projects in Flood Hazard Areas 4/21/2014
FEMA Policy 302-405-164-1 Limits on Subsurface Uses of Hazard Mitigation Assistance Acquired Lands 5/5/2014
FEMA Policy 204-078-112-1 Eligibility of Flood Risk Reduction Measures under the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Programs June 27, 2014
Duplication of Programs and FEMA Hazard Mitigation Assistance Frequently Asked Questions Accompanying FP 204-078-112-1
HMA-Related Policy Publications
Environmental and Historic Preservation
The following policies set forth requirements for environmental planning and historic preservation review of HMA projects:
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) FEMA Implementation – NEPA Desk Reference
- Environmental Policy No; 1: CATEX Acquisition of Damaged Properties; Implementation of E.O. 12898 - 4/18/1994
- Environmental Policy No. 2 - Other Agency Clearance for Environmental Assessments - 5/24/1994
- Environmental Policy No. 3 - Policy for Projects Initiated Without Environmental Review - 3/24/1995
The National Flood Insurance Program provides Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) coverage to assist payment for the cost of compliance with state or local floodplain management laws or ordinances. Terms of ICC assistance are addressed in the following policies.