FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) grant programs provide funding for eligible mitigation activities that reduce disaster losses and protect life and property from future disaster damages. Currently, FEMA administers the following HMA grant programs:
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) HMGP assists in implementing long-term hazard mitigation measures following Presidential disaster declarations. Funding is available to implement projects in accordance with State, Tribal, and local priorities.
- Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) PDM provides funds on an annual basis for hazard mitigation planning and the implementation of mitigation projects prior to a disaster. The goal of the PDM program is to reduce overall risk to the population and structures, while at the same time, also reducing reliance on Federal funding from actual disaster declarations.
- Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) FMA provides funds on an annual basis so that measures can be taken to reduce or eliminate risk of flood damage to buildings insured under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Prospective subapplicants should contact their State Hazard Mitigation Officer for further information regarding specific program and application requirements.
***HMA New Updates
10/19/2013 - The PDM and FMA application periods are now closed.
07/2013 - The updated Fiscal Year 2013 Unified Hazard Mitigation Assistance Guidance is now available.
FEMA will open the PDM and FMA application period on July 19, 2013 and close the application period on October 18, 2013.
Please go to www.grants.gov for the PDM and FMA Funding Opportunity Announcements.
FOA - FY2013 PDM Program:
Applicants will be limited to 5 subapplications (project and planning) plus a management costs subapplication
The following Agency priorities for funding will be used for PDM selections:
1. The #1 ranked subapplication in each State and Territory if the subapplication is within the 1% set-aside or $250,000. If the #1 ranked subapplication is greater than $250,000 that subapplication will be considered after all other State and Territory set-asides are selected.
2. Planning Subapplications
3. Indian Tribal Government Subapplications
4. Non flood projects from Applicants with no open HMGP declaration
5. Non-flood projects from Applicants with an open HMGP declaration
6. Flood mitigation projects
FOA - FY2013 FMA Program:
1. FMA funding for mitigation planning will be limited to $100,000 for States and Territories.
2. Subapplications containing higher ratios of SRL properties will receive priority over other projects.