The National Risk Index (NRI) is an easy-to-use, interactive tool that shows which communities are most at risk to natural hazards. It includes data about the expected annual losses to individual natural hazards, social vulnerability and community resilience, available at county and Census tract levels.
Access the National Risk Index
Benefits of Using the National Risk Index
The NRI can be used to support resilience building efforts and ensures that resources go where they are needed most. Download and read fact sheets to learn how the NRI can be used to support mitigation planning, hazard mitigation assistance and risk communication. See how others have used the NRI through our Best Practices.
Visit the National Risk Index
- Explore the interactive map.
- Understand your risk to local natural hazards.
- Access the Index's data to create your own maps and apps.
Download Technical Documentation
NRI Technical Documentation
NRI Data Version and Update
Take Action in Your Community
Learn how to take action in your community through:
- Reducing natural hazard risks
- Exploring hazard-specific resources
- Assessing your needs
- Learning how communities reduced their risks
- Engaging with additional resources
Email us with questions or to share how you are using National Risk Index.