We encourage all emergency managers to review our latest COVID-19 fact sheets for details on federal assistance programs and guidelines.
Organizations can email best practices or lessons learned to email@example.com.
FEMA does not endorse any non-government entities, organizations, or services. Claims made by third parties have not been independently verified by FEMA.
Get the latest public health information on coronavirus at www.coronavirus.gov.
View our collection of key findings and considerations for jurisdictions and communities regarding ongoing COVID-19 pandemic operations across the country.
- Food banks
- Government engagement with citizens
- Considerations for people with disabilities
- Community Emergency Response Teams
- Volunteer management
View All Case Studies
Many communities responded to COVID-19 in innovative ways that highlighted the best of American ingenuity.
- An Alabama-based company creates custom-made, digitally-fitted masks that meld to every contour of a person's face.
- A new platform matches elder or immunocompromised residents in Oakland, California, with low-risk volunteers who can help them during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The University of Oregon's Institute for Health in the Built Environment is piloting the incorporation of regular testing of building surfaces and air ducts for the virus.
View All Community Innovation Stories
- Disability Considerations
Guidance for state, local, tribal, and territorial governments on how to ensure that people with disabilities have adequate access to goods and services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Connecting Consumers with Local Food
Countries, cities and private citizens expanded local food production through family and community gardens to supplement supply chains to address COVID-19 pandemic related effects on traditional farming and food supply chains.
- Sustaining Nutritional Needs for At-Risk Individuals
Millions of Americans rely on a range of at-home and community-based food services. This resource provides federal agencies and state, local, tribal and territorial governments tools to sustain and expand home delivered meals and other nutrition programs during the COVID-19 pandemic, especially for at-risk individuals.
View All Helping People Best Practices
Other Resources to Help People
- Mass Care/Emergency Assistance Pandemic Planning Considerations Guide (FEMA)
- COVID-19 Response and Homelessness: An Action and Resource Guide (HUD)
- The Louisiana State University NCBRT
This nationally recognized center for emergency management training has developed a range of online COVID-19 resources and trainings for emergency responders.
- Natural Hazards Preparedness
Recommendations and best practices for state, local, tribal and territorial officials when managing the risks posed simultaneously by the COVID-19 pandemic and natural hazards.
- Government Engagement with Citizens
Methods jurisdictions have used to assess constituent needs to inform response efforts and identify relevant information to share with their communities.
- Pandemic Operational Guidance
To help emergency managers and public health officials prepare for hurricane season and other disasters during COVID-19.
View All Government Operations Best Practices
Other Government Operations Resources
- Exercise Starter Kit for Preparedness in a Pandemic
- Risk Management for Novel Coronavirus (CISA)
- State Level Information for Essential Workers Seeking Child Care (HHS)
- Guidance for First Responders on Patient Privacy during COVID-19 (HHS)
- Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19 (DOL)
Private Sector and Infrastructure
- Nuclear Industry Response
A list of key findings and considerations for jurisdictions and communities regarding use of Nuclear medical technology applications and Nuclear energy during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic operations.
- Longer-Term Business Reopening
Strategies supported by guidance from federal, state and local governments that businesses across various sectors can implement to protect employees and customers from COVID-19 as businesses begin phased reopening.
- Re-Orienting Business Production
Companies across industries repurposed their production capabilities to support the response to the coronavirus pandemic disease (COVID-19).
View All Private Sector and Infrastructure Best Practices
Recovery Planning and Implementation
- Unemployment Insurance
Some examples of strategies states and territories implemented to help individuals file unemployment insurance claims.
- Reconstitution Planning
Organizations across the nation are grappling with when and how to resume operations while protecting the well-being and safety of their employees and communities.
- Financial Management
The recently released Disaster Financial Management Guide can help a jurisdiction successfully use all available federal resources for disaster recovery, including the COVID-19 Supplemental Funding.
- Environmental and Historic Preservation
Identify emergency protective measures for COVID-19 that may adversely affect natural, historic and/or archaeological resources. Learn how to comply with environmental and historic preservation laws, regulations and executive orders.
View All Recovery Planning and Implementation Best Practices
Other Recovery Planning and Implementation Resources
Medical Supplies and Equipment
- Key Strategies to Prepare for COVID-19 in Long-term Care Facilities (CDC)
- ASPR TRACIE COVID-19 Information Exchange (HHS)
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators (CDC)
- Optimizing Ventilator Use during the COVID-19 Pandemic (HHS)
- Rapid Expert Consultation on Crisis Standards of Carex (HHS)
- Guidance on COVID-19 (CDC)