Preparing to Apply
- Determine whether your organization was previously assigned a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) Number when applying for federal assistance; the numeric DUNS system was phased out of use on April 4, 2022 and replaced by the alphanumeric Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) system.
- If your organization was previously assigned a DUNS Number, it has been replaced by a new UEI value. Login to sam.gov to check your new UEI.
- If your organization has not previously applied for federal assistance, move on to Step 2 below; you will automatically be assigned a UEI when registering in sam.gov.
- Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) and register in the System for Award Management at sam.gov; your organization will be assigned a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) once registered.
- Register with grants.gov.
- Create an account with FEMA’s Non-Disaster Grants Management System (ND Grants)
- Review details on each of the Preparedness Grant Programs to determine which grant(s) is the best fit for your organization.
For more details, please view the Preparedness Grants Manual and the Appendix H: Emergency Management Performance Grant Program.
Visit SAM.gov and grants.gov to register.