This page outlines information on how to download and run the latest version of cHECK-RAS, delete a junction in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) HEC-RAS (Hydologic Engineering Center River Analysis System) program, and other useful cHECk-RAS information for current users. cHECk-RAS is a program designed to verify the validity of an assortment of parameters found in the HEC-RAS hydraulic modeling program. cHECk-RAS utilizes information generated by HEC-RAS.
To view the latest version of cHECk-RAS, visit the cHECk-RAS landing page.
cHECk-RAS Version 2.0.1 Release
Updates to the cHECk-RAS program have been made to:
- The ‘Read Geometry’ error related to rating curves experienced by some users when using the program to check certain models will be resolved
- Variables will populate appropriately in all 314 cHECk-RAS messages generated by the program
- Users will be able to install the cHEC-RAS program to a non-default location on their computer without affecting the ability to use cHECk-RAS
- Users will be able to input a specific surcharge value to be checked as an alternative to choosing from the pre-defined list of state surcharge values
- cHECk-RAS 2.0.1 User Guide enhancements to reflect the latest features
Please refer to the updated cHECk-RAS User Guide for additional information and instructions on new program features.
cHECk-RAS 2.0.1 can be run on computers that:
- Use Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit) or Windows 8 (32- or 64-bit) operating systems
- Have the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ HEC-RAS program installed. Currently, all versions through version 4.1.0 are supported.
- Have a version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat installed
Note that in order for the cHECk-RAS Help and Reporting functions to be fully functional, the HEC-RAS project file inputted into the program must be accessed from your local computer.
The USACE’s HEC-RAS program must be installed on the computer before cHECk-RAS can be installed.
Note that older versions of cHECk-RAS do not need to be un-installed prior to installation of cHECk-RAS 2.0.1.
- Download the latest cHECk-RAS Version 2.0.1 set-up zip file from the FEMA library and save it to a local directory on your computer. Extract the file.
Note that the FEMA library resource record for cHECk-RAS also includes the following information:
- cHECk-RAS 2.0.1 executable setup file - in ZIP format.
- User Guide
- cHECk-RAS Sample Data Sets
- Double click on the cHECk-RAS installation file and follow the on-screen directions to install the program.
The HEC-RAS program latest version 4.1.0 must be installed on your computer before you can use cHECk-RAS. If you already have HEC-RAS 4.1.0 installed on your computer, skip to the Run cHECk-RAS section below. If not, visit the USACE Web site to download a free copy of the program and install it on your computer.
- The default installation directory for HEC-RAS is the "HEC" directory. However, you may install this program elsewhere on your computer or rename the default directory after installing the program (not recommended). If either of these actions is taken, the HEC-RAS registry will no longer match the location of the actual program on your computer. Wherever the program may be, make sure that the path to the application is such that the last directory in the path is "HEC" (e.g., D:\test\test1\HEC\ras.exe).
- The HEC-RAS registry is not automatically created on your computer when you install the HEC-RAS program. To create the registry, you must open at least one project from HEC-RAS. If this is not done, cHECk-RAS will not be able to find the HEC-RAS program on your computer.
- Make sure that the stream has a reach name by navigating to Edit/Geometric Data on the HEC-RAS main menu. Although HEC-RAS will run without a reach name, cHECk-RAS will not be able to extract data. Refer to the HEC-RAS Users Manual for information on adding a reach name.
Before running cHECk-RAS, it is highly recommended that users review the cHECk-RAS User Guide, available both directly through the cHECk-RAS online help function or as a standalone .pdf file. The User Guide has detailed instructions on how to use the different functions in the program and information on the types of checks performed.
Questions not answered by the Help menu or suggestions for software improvements can be submitted on the Software Help Page.
How to Delete a Junction in HEC-RAS
The How to Delete Junction Documentation document describes the step-by-step process for deleting a junction in HEC-RAS based on the Cross Section Check Example Dataset.
cHECk-RAS Bulletin Archive
You can view the cHECk-RAS bulletin archive as well as other FHM bulletins.
A Software Help Page is available to accommodate users' submittals of questions and suggestions regarding cHECk-RAS and other FEMA computer programs. View the latest known issues for the cHECk-RAS Beta software release.