This page contains links to the Assistance to Firefighters Grants programs: Assistance to Firefighters Grants, Fire Prevention & Safety, and Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response. The intended audiences are AFG stakeholders, which include but are not limited to award recipients and the communities they serve.
Assistance to Firefighters Grants Breaking News
THE FY 2018 AFG OPEN APPLICATION PERIOD IS UNDERWAY
The 2018 AFG application period is OPEN now and will close on Friday, October 26 at 5: 00 PM EST
- 2018 AFG Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- 2018 AFG Cost Share Calculator
- 2018 AFG Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 2018 AFG Narrative Get Ready Guide - Application
- 2018 AFG Narrative Get Ready Guide - Narrative
- 2018 AFG Self Evaluation Vehicle Acquisition
- 2018 AFG Self Evaluation Operations Safety
- 2018 AFG Application Checklist
Training Announcement: FY 2017 Application Turndown, FY 2018 Workshop Presentations and FY 2018 Application Walk-thru Webinars
Location: FEMA Adobe Connect Webinar Site
Note:Each webinar will be repeated at least twice a day to accomidate different time zones. You do not neet to attend all in one sitting.
- FY 2017 Application Turndown Webinar
- Monday, September 17th - Saturday, September 22nd at 10* a.m. EDT and 1 p.m. EDT (*There will be no webinar 10 a.m. September 17th)
- FY 2018 Application Workshop Presentation
- Monday, September 17th - October 5th at 9 a.m. EDT and 4 p.m. EDT
- FY 2018 Application Walk-thru
- Monday September 24th - October 5th at 10 a.m. EDT and 1 p.m. EDT
Assistance to Firefighters Grants
The primary goal of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) is to enhance the safety of the public and firefighters with respect to fire-related hazards by providing direct financial assistance to eligible fire departments, nonaffiliated Emergency Medical Services organizations, and State Fire Training Academies. This funding is for critically needed resources to equip and train emergency personnel to recognized standards, enhance operations efficiencies, foster interoperability, and support community resilience.
Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants
The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants was created to provide funding directly to fire departments and volunteer firefighter interest organizations to help them increase the number of trained, "front line" firefighters available in their communities.
Fire Prevention & Safety Grants
Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 (Public Law 111-5) provided the Department of Homeland Security with $210,000,000 to fund the 2009 Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants. This one-time grant opportunity provided 120 fire departments with financial assistance to build new fire stations or modify existing stations in order to enhance response capabilities and protect the community from fire and fire-related hazards.
AFG Help Desk
Contact the AFG Program Help Desk toll-free at 866-274-0960, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AFG Program has Fire Program Specialists in 10 federal regional centers. These Regional Fire Program Specialists respond to questions about the AFG program and carry out grant monitoring activities. View regional contacts
Assistance to Firefighters Grants Quick Links
Popular AFG links
- Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG)
- AFG Economic Hardship Waiver
- AFG Grantee Awards List
- AFG Success Stories
- Staffing for Adequate Fire & Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants (SAFER)
- SAFER Grantee Awards List
- SAFER Success Stories
- Fire Prevention & Safety (FP&S) Grants
- FP&S Grantee Awards List
- FP&S Success Stories
- Grant Closeout Tutorial
- Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Email Alert Archive
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Information For The Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program and Help Desk
Assistance to Firefighters Grants Rules and Tools
Visit the Rules and Tools page for information about:
- Application Assistance
- Grants Management Assistance
- Alternative Grant Funding Sources
- Environmental Historic Preservation
Grants Information Updates
AFG Funding Levels - FY 2018
- $345 million will support Fire and EMS Operations and Safety Grants, Firefighting and Emergency Vehicle Grants and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants;
- $345 million will support SAFER grants.