This page contains links to the Assistance to Firefighters Grants programs: Assistance to Firefighters Grants, Fire Prevention & Safety, and Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response. The intended audiences are AFG stakeholders, which include, but are not limited to, award recipients and the communities they serve.
Assistance to Firefighters Grants Breaking News
OPEN APPLICATION PERIOD ANNOUNCEMENT:
The Fire Prevention & Safety (FP&S) Grants Application Period is now open and will close on Friday May 29 at 5 p.m. ET.
Begin preparing now by reviewing the available guidance materials below.
- Fire Prevention & Safety Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- Fire Prevention & Safety Application Checklist
- Fire Prevention & Safety Self-Evaluation Sheet
- Fire Prevention & Safety Cost Share Calculator
- FEMA GO Account Creation User Guide
- Economic Hardship Waiver for FPS, SAFER and AFG
- Fire Prevention & Safety FAQs
- Fire Prevention & Safety Research & Development (R & D) FAQs
Training Announcement: E0705 Fundamentals of Grants Management
Location: National Emergency Training Center, Emergency Management Institute in Emmitsburg, MD
- June 8 - 10, 2020 - Postponed
- Aug. 24 - 26, 2020 - Postponed
Registration Deadline: Eight weeks prior to class start date.
E705 Fundamentals of Grants Management Registration and additional information
Application Period Status Updates
FY 2019 Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) - Closed
F Y 2019 SAFER Open Application Period - Closed
FY 2020 Assistance to Firefighters Grants - COVID-19 Supplemental - Closed
F Y 2019 Fire Prevention & Safety (FP&S) Open Application Period - Open through 5/29/20
Assistance to Firefighters Grants
The primary goal of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) is to enhance the safety of the public and firefighters with respect to fire-related hazards by providing direct financial assistance to eligible fire departments, nonaffiliated Emergency Medical Services organizations, and State Fire Training Academies. This funding is for critically needed resources to equip and train emergency personnel to recognized standards, enhance operations efficiencies, foster interoperability, and support community resilience.
Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants
The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants was created to provide funding directly to fire departments and volunteer firefighter interest organizations to help them increase the number of trained, "front line" firefighters available in their communities.
Fire Prevention & Safety Grants
Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 (Public Law 111-5) provided the Department of Homeland Security with $210 million to fund the 2009 Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants. This one-time grant opportunity provided 120 fire departments with financial assistance to build new fire stations or modify existing stations in order to enhance response capabilities and protect the community from fire and fire-related hazards.
AFG Help Desk
Contact the AFG Program Help Desk toll-free at 866-274-0960, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AFG Program has Fire Program Specialists in 10 federal regional centers. These Regional Fire Program Specialists respond to questions about the AFG program and carry out grant monitoring activities. View regional contacts
Assistance to Firefighters Grants Quick Links
Popular AFG links
- Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG)
- AFG Economic Hardship Waiver
- AFG Grantee Awards List
- AFG Success Stories
- Staffing for Adequate Fire & Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants (SAFER)
- SAFER Grantee Awards List
- SAFER Success Stories
- Fire Prevention & Safety (FP&S) Grants
- FP&S Grantee Awards List
- FP&S Success Stories
- Grant Closeout Tutorial
- Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Email Alert Archive
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Information For The Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program and Help Desk
Assistance to Firefighters Grants Rules and Tools
Visit the Rules and Tools page for information about:
- Application Assistance
- Grants Management Assistance
- Alternative Grant Funding Sources
- Environmental Historic Preservation
Grants Information Updates
AFG Funding Levels - FY 2019
- $345 million will support Fire and EMS Operations and Safety Grants, Firefighting and Emergency Vehicle Grants and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants;
- $345 million will support SAFER grants.