This page explains how FEMA supports the coordination of voluntary efforts and donations management before, during, and after disasters.
FEMA Voluntary Agency and Donations Coordination
FEMA Voluntary Agency Liaisons support the significant contributions of voluntary, faith-based, and community stakeholders active in disaster by building relationships – and coordinating efforts – with and across partner organizations and government agencies.
VALs promote information-sharing and mutual understanding among partners, and provide guidance on integrating activities across various subject areas and the full disaster life-cycle. This work empowers stakeholders and communities to strengthen their capabilities, capacity, and delivery of inclusive, equitable services.
- Contact your FEMA Regional and HQ Voluntary Agency Liaisons and Donations Specialists.
- Learn how FEMA Voluntary Agency Liaisons can help your organization get involved in – or support your work during – disaster response, recovery, preparedness, and mitigation.
VAL Technical Assistance
Voluntary Agency Liaisons can provide information, guidance, and support on a range of topics, tailored to the needs of your organization or event.
- This Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) sets out how Individual Assistance staff will request, implement, and process FEMA Invitational Travel for Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD).
- Information-sharing (including Routine Use, Written Consent, and Referrals)
- Planning, Preparedness, and Mitigation
- Response and Recovery
- Community Services Programs
- Mission Assignments
- Voluntary, Faith-Based, and Community Efforts
- Cleanup (including Debris Removal, Tarping, and Muck and Gut)
- Volunteer and Donations Messaging and Management
(including Spontaneous Unaffiliated Volunteers, and In-Kind Donated Goods)
- Volunteer Reception Centers (VRCs)
- Multi-Agency Resource Centers (MARCs)
- Long Term Recovery Groups (LTRGs)
- Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters (VOADs)
- Connect for information on current and upcoming News, Events, and Opportunities.
- Review Training & Exercise opportunities related to your organization and volunteers.
- Explore additional Partners and Resources.
The FEMA Voluntary Agency Liaison mission is to establish, foster, and maintain relationships among government, voluntary, faith-based, and community partners to strengthen capabilities and support the delivery of inclusive, equitable services by empowering communities to address disaster-related unmet needs.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Disclaimer: FEMA does not endorse any entities, websites, or applications, but provides data and links for informational purposes only.