U.S. flag

Một trang web chính thức của Chính Phủ Hoa Kỳ

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites..

alert - warning

Trang này chưa được dịch sang tiếng Tiếng Việt. Truy cập trang được dịch sang tiếng Tiếng Việt để xem các tài nguyên hỗ trợ theo ngôn ngữ này.

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP)

FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program provides funding to state, local, tribal and territorial governments so they can rebuild in a way that reduces, or mitigates, future disaster losses in their communities. This grant funding is available after a presidentially declared disaster.

Find resources for state, local, tribal and territorial governments. In this program, individuals can apply for a grant through a local community.

Types of Funding Available

Hazard mitigation includes long-term efforts to reduce the impact of future disasters. The Hazard Mitigation Grants Program may fund projects for:

  • Protecting or purchasing public or private property that experienced, or is in danger of experiencing, repetitive damage.
  • Purchasing and removing a flood-prone property from an individual.
  • Developing and adopting hazard mitigation plans, which are required for state, local, tribal and territorial governments to receive funding for their hazard mitigation projects.
  • Using aquifer storage and recovery, floodplain and stream restoration, flood diversion and storage, or green infrastructure methods that may reduce the impacts of flood and drought.

Funding for Homes

  • Protecting a home with barriers to prevent floodwater from entering.
  • Raising a home so that potential floodwaters flow under it.
  • Constructing a new, raised home to replace a demolished one.
  • Making a home more resistant to floods and earthquakes.
  • Building a safe room inside or nearby to provide safety from strong winds, such as during a tornado or hurricane.
  • Using fire-resistant materials on the outside of a home and clearing trees and brush around it.
  • Strengthening the roof, walls, doors and windows of a home to minimize high wind damage.

About FEMA Funding for Hazard Mitigation Grants

There is a cost share requirement. FEMA provides up to 75 percent of the total amount of funds needed for mitigation projects. The remaining 25 percent can come from the state or local government,  an individual, construction labor, Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) funds from a flood insurance policy, or Small Business Administration loans. Check with your respective community, state, or tribe to determine your specific cost-share requirements.

When starting a funded project, remember the Period of Performance, which is the time when grant activities must be completed.