The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act increases funding for FEMA dam safety with $585 million for the Rehabilitation of High Hazard Potential Dams (HHPD) Grant, $148 million for the State Assistance Grant, and $67 million total for operations and support.
Listening sessions will help develop the goals for this funding and the steps necessary to accomplish these goals.
The overall goals of the stakeholder engagement process are to:
- Understand the needs of the stakeholders this program is intended to support.
- Provide opportunities for meaningful input to shape decisions and outcomes on program design, components, and products.
- Ensure that the unique challenges related to dams faced by disadvantaged communities and tribes are well understood and incorporated into solutions.
- Identify the challenges future climatic issues pose to dam safety.
Upcoming Listening Sessions
Listening sessions will alternate between being hosted virtually and in-person depending on the topic and timing.
Listening Session: Visionary Opportunities for State Dam Safety Programs
- Jan. 25: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Eastern Time
- Jan. 26: 1 to 3 p.m. Eastern Time
Listening Session: Assessment Prioritization, Decision Making (Resiliency-Understanding and Addressing Risk)
- Being held in conjunction with Technical Seminar (in person)
- Feb. 23: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time
- April 4 (virtual): 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time
Listening Session: Grants Applications & Grants Management (HHPD & State Assistance (SA))
- March 7: 3-4 p.m. Eastern Time
- March 9: 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Eastern Time
Listening Session: Dam Rehabilitation and Removal Projects / Historic Preservation (EHP) Requirements Review & Needs Assessment / Floodplain Management Requirements
- April 18 (virtual): 3 to 5 p.m. Eastern Time
- April 19 (virtual): 10 a.m. to noon Eastern Time
Listening Session: IIJA Listening Session Recap
- May 22: 3:30 to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Held in conjunction with ASDSO Northeast Regional Conference May 22-25, 2023