This page contains tips to help Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) applicants provide Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) with the information needed to expedite a map amendment request.
- Notice of submittal completeness within 30 days
- Amendment determination issued within 60 days of receipt of all required data
For Fastest Processing
An applicant may submit a LOMA request online via the electronic Letter of Map Amendment (eLOMA) or the Online Letter of Map Change (LOMC) tools.
The eLOMA tool is a web-based application that provides licensed land surveyors and professional engineers (Licensed Professionals or LPs) and other FEMA approved Certified Professionals (CPs) with a system to submit LOMA requests that are not considered to be within a coastal zone (Zone V), an alluvial fan, or modified by fill to raise the elevation of the structure to FEMA. The eLOMA tool is designed specifically for registered users to generate a determination from FEMA within minutes of submitting required information and data for the request. For more information on the eLOMA tool, visit the eLOMA page.
The Online LOMC tool is available to any applicant who would like to submit a LOMC request directly to FEMA and does not require a surveyor or engineer to submit. All types of LOMC requests are accepted in the Online LOMC tool and applicants may check the status of their application at any time. For more information on the Online LOMC tool, visit the Online LOMC page.
Surveyor or Engineer Responsibilities
- Indicate the lowest adjacent grade elevation (lowest ground touching the structure, including any attached decks or garage) for all structure requests
- Indicate the lowest lot elevation (lowest ground elevation on the property) for all property requests
- Confirm that elevations are given to the nearest tenth of a foot or meter and are referenced to the same datum as the official National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) map for the affected community
For Best Results
- Identify correct process/product
- Answer all questions on forms
- Use data checklists provided with the forms
- Submit data all at once
For More Information
For information on related fees, see the Flood Map-Related Fees page
- Call (1-877) FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627) Monday through Friday, 8:00 am through 6:30 pm (Eastern Time)
- Email the FMIX
- Chat with a Map Specialist Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (Eastern Time)
Subscribe to receive flood hazard mapping updates via email.