The 2018-2022 Strategic Plan creates a shared vision for the field of emergency management and sets an ambitious, yet achievable, path forward to unify and further professionalize emergency management across the country. We invite all of our stakeholders and partners to also adopt these priorities and join us in building a stronger Agency and a more prepared and resilient Nation.
This Strategic Plan was developed with input from our external partners – state, local, tribal, and territorial governments, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector – as well as FEMA employees from offices and directorates across the agency. We listened, and the feedback we received contributed to our Strategic Goals, Strategic Objectives, and overall vision for FEMA over the next five years.
The Strategic Plan sets out three overarching Strategic Goals:
- Build a Culture of Preparedness
- Every segment of our society, from individual to government, industry to philanthropy, must be encouraged and empowered with the information it needs to prepare for the inevitable impacts of future disasters.
- Ready the Nation for Catastrophic Disasters
- FEMA will work with its partners across all levels of government to strengthen partnerships and access new sources of scalable capabilities to quickly meet the needs of overwhelming incidents.
- Reduce the Complexity of FEMA
- FEMA must continue to be responsible stewards of the resources we are entrusted to administer. We must also do everything that we can to leverage data to drive decision-making, and reduce the administrative and bureaucratic burdens that impede impacted individuals and communities from quickly receiving the assistance they need.
To submit general questions, comments, or feedback regarding the 2018-2022 FEMA Strategic Plan, please contact FEMA-Strategic-Planning@fema.dhs.gov.
To provide feedback on one of the three Strategic Goals, please contact: