This page provides information about the Grant Program Management (GPM) Branch, which is part of the Grants Division. The GPM branch is responsible for managing the Emergency Management Performance Grant Program (EMPG) and for providing technical assistance to grantees receiving funds under the three fire grant programs: Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG); the Staffing for Adequate Fire & Emergency Response (SAFER); and the Fire Prevention & Safety (FP&S) grants. The branch services state administrative agencies and fire organizations located in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.
- The FY 2014 Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) grant application period closes April 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM EDT. The Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) can be found at https://www.fema.gov/welcome-assistance-firefighters-grant-program
- The FY 2014 AFG awards will soon be announced weekly until all funding is committed.
- The FY 2014 SAFER and 2014 FP&S application Panel Reviews are scheduled for May.
The FY 2015 EMPG application period opened March 25th and closes April 24, 2015 at 11:59 PM EDT.
Regional emergency management and fire service training agency websites
- AFG Informational Webinars (1 hour)
Webinars are held bimonthly starting in May and cover topics related to the management of your AFG awards. Previously, Region VII held these webinars monthly and covered such topics as Closeouts, EHP, Application Development, Procurement, Reporting Requirements, and others. The presentations for these webinars can still be accessed at https://fema.connectsolutions.com/afg-monthly/ .
- E705 Fundamentals of Grants Management Course (3 days)
Curriculum covers high-level grant management principles which may differ among programs, therefore grantees should refer to the Notice of Funding Opportunity Announcement for program specificities.
Target Audience: Direct recipients & Sub-recipients of FEMA grants and Individuals with limited FEMA grants management experience.
Location: Emergency Management Institute (EMI) in Emmitsburg, Maryland
Course Dates: June 29 – July 1, 2015
September 29 – October 1, 2015
Funding: EMI does not provide travel stipends for this course. Grantees may use Management and Administrative (M&A) grant funds with approval from your FEMA Regional or Headquarters program analyst.
Application Procedures: www.training.fema.gov/Apply.
- Enhancing AFG Application Development and Writing Skills Workshop (1 day)
Instruction focuses on the AFG Program application process, the fundamentals of identifying organizational gaps and vulnerabilities and how to link gaps to the highest priorities in the AFG Program. Teams simulate the Peer Review Process to enhance student skills in developing and writing a comprehensive and concise application program narrative. An overview of the three AFG Programs is included.
Target Audience: Potential Applicants and Current Recipients of AFG awards
Location: FEMA Region VII Office, 9221 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, MO 64111
Workshop Date/Time: October 14, 2015 (9:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Funding: Students are responsible for paying their travel expenses.
Registration Process: Contact Linda Davis, FEMA R7 Fire Specialist (see contact info below)
Grant Recipient Resources
- All grant recipients with awards issued after December 26, 2014 must comply with the new Super Circular (2 C.F.R. Part 200). The Grant Programs Directorate Information Bulletin No. 400 contains details and links to the 2 CFR 200 document.
- The Grant Programs Directorate (GPD) Policy page provides polices, informational bulletins, and current NOFOs to FEMA preparedness grant recipients and is accessed via /grants/grant-programs-directorate-policy
- All AFG applicants must be registered in SAM to submit an application.
- Resources available at https://www.fema.gov/firegrants
- Funding Opportunity Announcements (Program guidance documents)
- Application checklists/Tutorials
- Get Ready Guides
- Self-Evaluation Guides
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Access the Application Procedures for E705. Contact Program Analyst Hal Tyson for additional information (see contact info below).
FEMA Region VII Contacts
Linda Davis, Fire Grants Specialist (Iowa/Kansas)
Rex Jennings, Fire Grants Specialist (Missouri/Nebraska)
Hal Tyson, Preparedness Grants Specialist (all R-VII states)
Kathy Strange, GPM Branch Chief