Region V supports the citizens and first responders of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin. This page outlines our history and is for anyone interested in learning more about the agency. Contact information is to assist you in getting in touch with the correct office in the agency.
FEMA Region V serves the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin, as well as the 34 federally recognized tribes located in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. Our regional office provides advice, training and funding to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain and improve our capabilities for disaster preparedness, protection, response, recovery and mitigation.
Region V employs over 160 full-time employees and can draw on a cadre of more than 500 disaster assistance employees to provide support.
Office of the Regional Administrator
- Janet M. Odeshoo, Acting Regional Administrator
- Maureen Cunningham, Regional Counsel
- Thomas Mefferd, Emergency Analyst
- Mark Peterson, External Affairs Director
Mission Support Division: Christine Stack, Division Director
The Mission Support Division is responsible for ensuring there is continuity in the leadership of the agency's critical business operations, function and purpose.
Grants Management Division: Iris Andrade, Director
The Grants Management Division is responsible for managing FEMA grants as it relates to Public Laws, Executive Orders, FEMA legislation and other directives related to the award and administration of grants, cooperative agreements, and stakeholder technical assistance to ensure grant compliance and completion of mission critical performance goals and objectives.
Mitigation Division: Mark Peterson, Acting Division Director
The Mitigation Division is responsible for creating safer communities through programs that reduce the loss of lives and properties such as the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- FEMA Data Visualization Tool-Historic Flood Risk and Cost: This interactive visualization shows historical flood risk by county using NOAA storm data and the potential flood-related costs using FEMA Individual Assistance and NFIP Claims Payout data by state.
- Policy Information by State: This report shows the number of policies in force, insurance in force, and written premiums in-force by state. The report then drills down to show those same states at the county level.
- Claims Information by State: This report shows the loss statistics from Jan 1, 1978 to the date of the report. It details the total losses, closed losses, open losses, losses closed without payment, and total payments for state. The report then drills down to show those same states at the county level.
- Statistics by Calendar Year: This website shows coverage, losses paid, number of losses paid, policies in force, and earned premium, as a national total over several years.
National Preparedness Division: Michael Chesney, Director
The National Preparedness Division is responsible for the coordination and development of the capabilities and tools necessary to prepare for all hazards with all levels of government.
Recovery Division: Fredric Kaehler, Director
The Recovery Division is responsible for providing federal assistance to individuals and households, as well as eligible public facilities in counties declared a major disaster by the President.
Response Division: Paul Preusse, Director
The Response Division is responsible for coordinating and implementing the federal response to major disasters, including planning, operations and logistics.
Federal Emergency Management Agency
536 South Clark Street, 6th Floor
Chicago, IL 60605
Region V Media & News Desk Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf
Congressional Affairs Contact: Dan Shulman
Tribal Affairs Contact: Bill Sulinckas
Regional Disability Integration Specialist: Jessica Mitchell
FEMA Region V Speaking Requests: Meghan Breitenbach
Information for Mitigation Services:
FEMA Map Assistance Center for Letters of Map Change: 1-877-FEMA-MAP (336-2627)
National Flood Insurance Program Information: 312-408-5200
NFIP Bureau & Statistical Agent: Annette Burris
Doing Business with FEMA:
If you're interested in doing business with FEMA Region V, please visit our main page for more information.