Tuesday is the Final Day for Most Oklahomans to Apply for Federal Assistance

Release Date Release Number
Release Date:
May 24, 2021

OKLAHOMA CITY — Tomorrow, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, is the final day for most Oklahomans to apply for assistance from FEMA or the U.S. Small Business Administration. If you live in Muskogee County, you have another month—until June 24, 2021. That’s because Muskogee County was added to the declaration just 12 days before the registration deadline.

Survivors who have uninsured losses after the February winter storm can apply several ways, but the fastest and easiest way to apply is by visiting DisasterAssistance.gov.

If it is not possible to register online, call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The toll-free phone lines operate daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT. Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel should provide FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service.

The 17 Oklahoma counties designated for federal assistance are Canadian, Carter, Cherokee, Comanche, Cotton, Hughes, Jefferson, Le Flore, McIntosh, Muskogee, Oklahoma, Okmulgee, Osage, Pittsburg, Stephens, Tulsa and Wagoner.

FEMA reminds survivors who registered online for disaster assistance that correspondence or information from FEMA needed to process their case will be sent to the online disaster assistance account created by the survivor.

When you apply for assistance, have the following information readily available:

  • A current phone number where you can be contacted.
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying.
  • Your Social Security number, if available.
  • A general list of damage and losses.
  • If insured, the insurance policy number, or the agent and company name.

For disaster damage to private property that is not fully covered by insurance, SBA may be the best option. SBA is the primary source of federal money for long-term disaster recovery. Businesses (including rental properties) of all sizes, as well as homeowners and renters whose property was damaged because of a declared disaster, should apply for a low-interest SBA disaster loan.

Homeowners may apply for up to $200,000 to replace or repair their primary residence. Renters and homeowners may borrow up to $40,000 to replace or repair personal property — such as clothing, furniture, cars and appliances — damaged or destroyed in a disaster.

SBA makes physical and economic injury disaster loans of up to $2 million to qualified businesses or most private nonprofit organizations. These loan proceeds may be used for the repair or replacement of the following:

  • Real property
  • Machinery
  • Equipment
  • Fixtures
  • Inventory
  • Leasehold improvements
  • Working Capital

To apply for a low-interest, long-term SBA disaster loan, call 800-659-2955 (TTY: 800-877-8339) or complete an online application at https://disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/.

For the latest information on the February winter storms visit http://www.fema.gov/disaster/4587 or follow the FEMA Region 6 Twitter account at twitter.com/FEMARegion6.

Last updated