- If you incurred funeral expenses as a result of Hurricane Florence, Funeral Assistance may be available from FEMA for funeral or reinterment expenses for your family member.
- Even if you live outside the presidentially declared disaster area, you may still qualify for Funeral Assistance if the death – or injury resulting in death – or disinterment occurred within the disaster area.
- To request Funeral Assistance, you must apply for disaster assistance by visiting DisasterAssistance.gov or calling the disaster assistance helpline at 800-621-3362 or
- You (or someone in your household, including a minor child) must be a U.S. citizen, noncitizen national, or qualified alien, and FEMA must be able to verify your identity.
- You must prove that you are responsible for the funeral or reinterment costs with either paid receipts or verifiable estimates.
- You must submit documentation of burial insurance and/or any forms of funeral assistance you received from voluntary agencies, government agencies or other entities.
- You must prove the death was attributed to the disaster. This can be done by presenting a death certificate that includes the disaster’s role in the death, or through a signed statement from a medical official stating the death was a direct or indirect result of the disaster. If your expenses are related to disinterment, you may submit proof of reinterment expenses.
- Funeral Assistance does not cover the cost of obituaries, flowers, catering, or gratuities.