ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Free legal assistance is available to survivors in Buncombe, Haywood and Transylvania counties who were affected by Tropical Storm Fred.
Survivors facing disaster-related issues who cannot afford an attorney may call the Disaster Legal Aid hotline at 866-219-5262. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Extended hours on Monday and Thursday are 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Apply for help online at www.legalaidnc.org/get-help/self-help-library/disaster-relief.
The service is operated by Legal Aid of North Carolina, a statewide, nonprofit organization that provides free legal services in civil matters to low-income people.
Legal Aid may be able to help survivors in the following ways:
- Clarify home ownership/heir property
- Assist with benefits applications and appeals processes
- Support victims of fraudulent contractors or assist with landlord disputes
- Provide insurance policy assistance
- Assist community groups that support long-term recovery
FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.