U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites..

Renters May Apply for FEMA Assistance

Release Date Release Number
DR-4609-TN R4 NR-010
Release Date:
September 9, 2021

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Renters in Dickson, Hickman, Houston and Humphreys counties whose property was damaged by the severe storm and flooding on Aug. 21, 2021 may apply for federal disaster assistance.

FEMA Individual Assistance may be available to eligible renters, including students, as well as homeowners. Call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) to register. The toll-free telephone lines operate from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.

Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, InnoCaption, or CapTel should update FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service. You may also register via the FEMA app by downloading it to a smartphone or tablet, or at www.disasterassistance.gov.

When you apply for assistance, have the following information readily available:

  • A current phone number where you can be contacted
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying
  • Your Social Security number, if available
  • A general list of damage and losses
  • If insured, the policy number or the agent and/or the company name

If you have renter’s insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If your policy does not cover all your damage expenses, you may be eligible for federal assistance.

Take photos to document losses and begin cleanup and repairs to prevent further damage. Remember to keep receipts from all purchases related to the cleanup and repair.

Renters may also qualify for a grant under FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program for essential personal property and other disaster-related expenses. These may include:

  • Replacement or repair of necessary personal property, such as furniture, appliances, clothing, textbooks or school supplies.
  • Replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment required by the self-employed.
  • Primary vehicles.
  • Medical and dental bills.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest disaster loans to help Tennessee businesses, homeowners and renters repair or replace disaster-damaged personal property, contents, tools of the trade, and vehicles.

For additional information about SBA disaster loans, the loan application process, or for help completing the SBA application, visit SBA’s secure website at www.sba.gov/disaster. Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 or email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov for more information. Individuals who are deaf or hard‑of‑hearing may call 800-877-8339.

For more information on Tennessee’s disaster recovery, visit www.tn.gov/tema.html and www.fema.gov/disaster/4609. You may also follow FEMA on www.facebook.com/fema and Twitter @FEMARegion4.

Last updated September 9, 2021