Renters Affected by March 25-26 Severe Storms and Tornadoes May Apply for Disaster Assistance

Release Date Release Number
Release Date:
May 20, 2021

Renters Affected by March 25-26 Severe Storms and Tornadoes May Apply for Disaster Assistance


CLANTON, Ala. – Renters in Bibb, Calhoun, Clay, Hale, Jefferson, Perry, Randolph, and Shelby counties whose homes and personal property were damaged by the March 25-26 storms and tornadoes can apply for federal disaster assistance.

The FEMA Individual Assistance program is available to all eligible renters, including students, as

well as homeowners. Federal grants may help pay for temporary housing. The initial rental grant is for 60 days and may be reviewed for further assistance. 

Renters may also qualify for a grant under FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program for essential personal property and other disaster-related expenses. These may include:

Replacement or repair of necessary personal property, such as furniture, appliances, clothing, textbooks or school supplies; replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment; vehicle repair, and medical and dental bills.

FEMA and the state of Alabama are committed to ensuring that services and assistance are available for all survivors who have access and functional needs.

 FEMA, for example, offers several accessible ways to register and apply for federal disaster assistance. Anyone can register in these ways:

  • Online, by visiting;
  • By downloading the FEMA app to a smartphone or tablet, or
  • By calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585). Multi-lingual operators are available. The toll-free lines are open 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. (Central Time) seven days a week. Helpline operators are also available to answer questions about applications already submitted.

The registration process includes your providing FEMA a phone number so FEMA can contact you and set up a virtual home inspection. If you use a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel, you should provide FEMA your specific number assigned to that service. 

If you were affected by the March 25-26 Severe storms and tornadoes in Alabama and need a sign language interpreter, foreign language translator, a Braille or large-print document, or have any other accommodation request, you should let FEMA know when registering.

For additional online resources, as well as FEMA downloadable pamphlets and other aids, visit and click “information.”

For referrals to Alabama’s health and human service agencies as well as community organizations, dial 211, text 888-421-1266, or chat with referral specialists via

For more information on Alabama’s disaster recovery, visit, AlabamaEMA Facebook page, and


FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.

Last updated