U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites..

Archive Alert

Archived Content. This page contains information that may not reflect current policy or programs. Learn more

You’ll Need Your Insurance Information When You Register with FEMA

Release Date Release Number
R4 DR-4429-MS NR 007
Release Date:
October 4, 2019

JACKSON, Miss. – If you suffered damage or loss from Mississippi’s storms, straight-line winds, tornadoes and flooding, Feb. 22 - March 29, and have not yet applied for disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), you should file a claim with your homeowners insurance company and your flood insurance carrier — but register with FEMA right away.

You should apply for assistance even if you have insurance, because you may find you are under-insured or have unmet needs after your insurance settlement. When you apply, you will need your Social Security number, contact information, bank account numbers, and — very important — your homeowners insurance and flood insurance information.

If you are a renter, you may be eligible for FEMA or U.S. Small Business Administration assistance to recover personal property losses not covered by your renters insurance.

If your insurance policy was lost or destroyed in the storms or you just can’t find your information, you should call your insurance company or agent and ask for a copy of your policy, including the Declaration Page. For an extensive list of homeowners insurance companies doing business in Mississippi, as well as phone numbers and addresses, visit https://www.mid.ms.gov/licensing-search/company-search.aspx . You can find contact information for your insurance agent at https://www.mid.ms.gov/licensing-search/individual-entity-search.aspx .

For more information on the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) claims process, visit https://www.fema.gov/nfip-file-your-claim .

You can register with FEMA online at DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585), 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET daily. Multilingual operators are available. You may also register in person at a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) operated by FEMA and the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency in Vicksburg and Columbus. DRCs are accessible facilities you can visit to learn more about FEMA and other disaster assistance programs. Visit https://egateway.fema.gov/ESF6/DRCLocator to find a DRC near you.

###All FEMA disaster assistance will be provided without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, sex (including sexual harassment), religion, national origin, age, disability, limited English proficiency, economic status, or retaliation. If you believe your civil rights are being violated, call 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585).

FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during, and after disasters.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may visit a temporary disaster recovery center, or contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955, emailing disastercustomerservice@sba.gov or visiting SBA’s website at SBA.gov/disaster. Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339


Last updated March 18, 2021