FEMA Awards $1,896,318 Grant to the Village of Valley View

Release Date Release Number
Release Date:
August 15, 2018

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,896,318 in Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) funds to the Village of Valley View, Ohio, for the acquisition of six and elevation of eight flood-prone homes located in the floodplain of the Cuyahoga River.

“The Flood Mitigation Assistance program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said James K. Joseph, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The mitigation of these structures greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“The Village of Valley View has seen numerous flood claims in the past,” said Sima Merick, executive director of the Ohio Emergency Management Agency. “When this project is complete, flood damages for this area will be reduced or eliminated, and there will be fewer and less costly flood insurance claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program.”

FMA provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through FMA, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $2,528,424 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $632,106, will be provided by the homeowners.

FEMA’s mission is assist people before, during and after disasters. 


Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last updated March 18, 2021