FACT SHEET: Frequently Asked Questions About FEMA Rental Assistance

Release Date Release Number
DR-4451-MO FS 006
Release Date:
August 16, 2019

Twenty-six counties were designated for FEMA Individual Assistance for the April 29–July 5 storms, tornadoes and flooding. You are encouraged to register with FEMA if you live in one of the 26 counties: Andrew, Atchison, Boone, Buchanan, Callaway, Carroll, Chariton, Cole, Greene, Holt, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lewis, Lincoln, Livingston, McDonald, Miller, Newton, Osage, Pike, Platte, Pulaski, St. Charles and Saline.

The deadline to register is Monday, Sept. 9.

You can register either:

  • By phone at the disaster assistance helpline: 800-621-FEMA (3362), voice/vp/711 or 800-462-7585 (TTY).  Lines are open daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Q: What is FEMA rental assistance?

A: FEMA rental assistance is a grant awarded to eligible Missouri homeowners and renters who have registered with FEMA and are displaced from their homes while repairs are being made or they transition to other permanent housing. The money may be used to rent a house, an apartment, or other types of temporary housing. These grants do not need to be repaid and are not taxable.

Q: What are the eligibility requirements for additional rental assistance?

A: The following requirements must be met and accompanied by supporting documents:

  • You were initially awarded FEMA rental assistance and used the funds as intended.
  • You are unable to return to your residence because it is uninhabitable or cannot be accessed as a result of the storms and flooding.
  • You do not have money for housing without assistance.
  • You are not being given rental assistance from any other source.
  • Supporting documents:
  • Rent receipts that include address of the unit, date the payment was made, the time period the payment covers.
  • A written lease or housing agreement, signed by both the landlord and tenant.
  • Pre- and post- disaster statements from any source of income for all members of the household who are 18 years or older.
  • Documents showing your pre-disaster housing costs.

Q: How long can I receive rental assistance?

A: In extraordinary circumstances, you may be provided up to 18 months of rental assistance, from the date of the disaster declaration on July 9, giving you time to find a long-term solution. The first installment of rental assistance funds is for one to two months. A FEMA inspection must first determine your residence is uninhabitable due to storm damage.


Q: How can I ask for more rental assistance?
A: Complete an Application for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance. This may have been mailed to you about 15 days after you received the first installment of FEMA rental assistance.
Return the completed form with supporting documents to FEMA by:

Mail: FEMA, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-8055 or

Fax:  800-827-8112

If you did not receive the form or you have questions, call the disaster helpline at 800-621-FEMA (3362), voice/vp/711 or 800-462-7585 (TTY). Lines are open daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Q: How will I receive rental assistance?

A: There are two ways: You can choose to have funds electronically transmitted to your bank or ask for paper checks.  If you are no longer receiving mail at your damaged property, provide a current address so you can receive a check. You must provide current bank account and contact information to receive the funds. Update your information at DisasterAssistance.gov or call the helpline at 800-621-FEMA (3362), voice/vp/711 or 800-462-7585 (TTY).

Q: If I receive rental assistance from my insurance company, will I also receive FEMA rental assistance?

A: No. Under federal law, if your insurance company has already paid you for rental assistance, sometimes called “loss of use” or “additional living expense,” FEMA cannot pay it again. However, if you use all the rental assistance from your insurance company, FEMA may be able to provide you with rental assistance.

Q: Do I need to keep my receipts if I receive FEMA rental assistance?

A: Yes. If you need more rental assistance, you will have to send them to FEMA. Otherwise keep them for three years in case of an audit.

Q: If FEMA can’t help me with my housing needs, where can I go for help?

A: Call 211.


Follow recovery updates in Missouri on Twitter @MOSEMA_ and @FEMARegion7. Get the latest information at Missouri's recovery website and FEMA's disaster webpage.



Last updated