Main Content

Public Assistance Approved for Eight More Municipalities

Release date: 
February 19, 2020
Release Number: 
DR-4473-PR NR 20

CAGUAS, Puerto Rico Fourteen municipalities are now eligible to be reimbursed by the federal government for debris removal and for emergency protective measures that were triggered by the 6.4 earthquake on Jan. 7.

 

The municipalities of Adjuntas, Jayuya, Juana Díaz, Lajas, Las Marías, Mayagüez, Sabana Grande and Utuado were added Friday to the original six municipalities which were designated in the presidential disaster declaration. The original six were Guánica, Guayanilla, Peñuelas, Ponce, San Germán and Yauco.

 

Under FEMA’s Public Assistance program, Categories A and B, the 14 municipalities can be reimbursed for earthquake-related expenses, for debris operations and for emergency measures that protect life, public health and safety.

 

For eligible projects under the Public Assistance program, FEMA funds 75 percent of the eligible costs, with the applicant funding the remaining 25 percent.

 

The Public Assistance program is the primary source of help for essential government agencies, public institutions and certain private nonprofits that serve residents, their communities, and by extension, the entire island.

 

To be eligible, the private nonprofit organizations must provide a critical service such as education, utilities, medical or emergency service. In addition, some non-critical, essential social services may be eligible for federal reimbursement under the Public Assistance program. Certain private nonprofits that benefit from the program include houses of worship that serve a public role and provide a critical function or noncritical but essential social services.

CAGUAS, Puerto Rico Fourteen municipalities are now eligible to be reimbursed by the federal government for debris removal and for emergency protective measures that were triggered by the 6.4 earthquake on Jan. 7.

 

The municipalities of Adjuntas, Jayuya, Juana Díaz, Lajas, Las Marías, Mayagüez, Sabana Grande and Utuado were added Friday to the original six municipalities which were designated in the presidential disaster declaration. The original six were Guánica, Guayanilla, Peñuelas, Ponce, San Germán and Yauco.

 

Under FEMA’s Public Assistance program, Categories A and B, the 14 municipalities can be reimbursed for earthquake-related expenses, for debris operations and for emergency measures that protect life, public health and safety.

 

For eligible projects under the Public Assistance program, FEMA funds 75 percent of the eligible costs, with the applicant funding the remaining 25 percent.

 

The Public Assistance program is the primary source of help for essential government agencies, public institutions and certain private nonprofits that serve residents, their communities, and by extension, the entire island.

 

To be eligible, the private nonprofit organizations must provide a critical service such as education, utilities, medical or emergency service. In addition, some non-critical, essential social services may be eligible for federal reimbursement under the Public Assistance program. Certain private nonprofits that benefit from the program include houses of worship that serve a public role and provide a critical function or noncritical but essential social services.

CAGUAS, Puerto Rico Fourteen municipalities are now eligible to be reimbursed by the federal government for debris removal and for emergency protective measures that were triggered by the 6.4 earthquake on Jan. 7.

 

The municipalities of Adjuntas, Jayuya, Juana Díaz, Lajas, Las Marías, Mayagüez, Sabana Grande and Utuado were added Friday to the original six municipalities which were designated in the presidential disaster declaration. The original six were Guánica, Guayanilla, Peñuelas, Ponce, San Germán and Yauco.

 

Under FEMA’s Public Assistance program, Categories A and B, the 14 municipalities can be reimbursed for earthquake-related expenses, for debris operations and for emergency measures that protect life, public health and safety.

 

For eligible projects under the Public Assistance program, FEMA funds 75 percent of the eligible costs, with the applicant funding the remaining 25 percent.

 

The Public Assistance program is the primary source of help for essential government agencies, public institutions and certain private nonprofits that serve residents, their communities, and by extension, the entire island.

 

To be eligible, the private nonprofit organizations must provide a critical service such as education, utilities, medical or emergency service. In addition, some non-critical, essential social services may be eligible for federal reimbursement under the Public Assistance program. Certain private nonprofits that benefit from the program include houses of worship that serve a public role and provide a critical function or noncritical but essential social services.


FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.
 

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362) or 711 for Video Relay Service. Multilingual operators are available. (Press 2 for Spanish.) TTY call 800-462-7585.

Follow us at:

 

www.facebook.com/femapuertorico

www.twitter.com/femaregion2

Last Updated: 
February 19, 2020 - 15:10