Main Content

FEMA Grants $5.2 Million for Critical Airport Repairs and Improvements

Release date: 
November 25, 2019
Release Number: 
DR-4404-MP NR 027

FEMA Grants $5.2 Million for Critical Airport Repairs and Improvements

 

SAIPAN, MP -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) granted $5.2 million to the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) to fund repairs to buildings and equipment and risk-reduction measures through Commonwealth Ports Authority for the Francisco C. Ada Saipan International Airport.

 

Super Typhoon Yutu highlighted the importance of the airport’s operation to life-saving and life- sustaining operations and the CNMI’s economy. The damage to the main airport terminal was estimated at over $22 million and includes significant damages to the exterior building envelope, airfield lighting/signage, and the jet bridges. FEMA funds 90 percent of the costs not covered by insurance, and the remaining 10 percent is provided by non-federal funds.

 

“I want to thank our partners at FEMA for approving this much needed grant award to assist with major facility and equipment repairs at the FCA Saipan International Airport,” said Governor Torres. “With tourism being the primary economic driver in the Marianas, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of ensuring that the airport is fully operational, conducive for travelers and employees. The airport is a visitor first and last impression, so this grant award from FEMA will be a tremendous assistance to addressing the damages as a result of Super Typhoon Yutu.”

 

FEMA’s Public Assistance program reimburses agencies and communities for expenses incurred in the immediate response and the recovery from a disaster. Eligible applicants include states, federally-recognized tribal governments, U.S. territories, local governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations. The grant applications in the CNMI are submitted by the Commonwealth, which coordinates the process with local governments.

 

FEMA obligates funding for these projects directly to the Commonwealth which ensures the eligible sub-recipients receive the award. Following its review of appropriate documentation, the Commonwealth reimburses the sub-recipients.

 

###

 

FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during, and after disasters. All FEMA disaster assistance will be provided without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, sex (including sexual harassment), religion, national origin, age, disability, limited English proficiency, economic status, or retaliation.

If you believe your civil rights are being violated, call 800-621-3362.

Last Updated: 
January 30, 2020 - 18:35