DURHAM, N.C. – FEMA and the state of North Carolina are announcing more than $2.3 million to reimburse Carteret County for debris cleanup activities following Hurricane Florence.
FEMA has already approved more than $12.2 million for Carteret County Hurricane Florence-related expenses. This brings the total to $14.5 million.
Disaster generated debris posed a threat to public health, safety, natural resources and tourism. Funds for this project will reimburse the county for contracted debris monitoring services and for the removal of vegetation and other debris from public rights of way throughout the county.
"The removal of storm related debris is an important part of recovery after a hurricane like we experienced last September. Carteret County appreciates FEMA and the state reimbursing the cost of roadside debris removal in the county," said Eugene Foxworth, Carteret Assistant County Manager.
FEMA’s Public Assistance program provides grants for state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations to reimburse the cost of debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent repair work.
Public Assistance is a cost-sharing program. FEMA reimburses applicants at least 75 percent of eligible costs, and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state. FEMA’s share for this project is nearly $1.8 million and the state’s share is more than $585,000. The federal share is paid directly to the state, which disburses funds to agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.
For more information on North Carolina’s recovery from Hurricane Florence, visit ncdps.gov/Florence and FEMA.gov/Disaster/4393. Follow us on Twitter: @NCEmergency and @FEMARegion4.
FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during and after disasters.