Main Content

Fact Sheet: California Wildfires Myth vs. Fact VI

Release date: 
July 15, 2019
Release Number: 
DR-4407-CA FS 010

The recovery work being done after the Camp Fire is enormous. It is also very complicated since devastation on this scale has never before happened in the State of California. These complications, in turn, create misconceptions that are sometimes spread via social and news media making it difficult to separate myth from fact. In an effort to set the record straight and minimize survivors’ confusion and frustration, FEMA is issuing this weekly Fact Sheet to address the most prominent falsehoods.

Myth: Survivors can’t lose power in FEMA-provided trailers and/or Manufactured Housing Units (MHUs).

Fact: FEMA provides electric, water, sewer, trash and recycling services to all units in an agency-operated temporary housing community. However, if a utility company plans a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) in Butte County, or cannot provide service for other reasons, survivors may temporarily lose power.


Myth: FEMA will pay for internet and cable in an agency-owned trailer or MHU.

Fact: FEMA does not pay for cable or internet services. A survivor can work directly with his/her preferred service provider to see if they install cable and/or internet in a FEMA trailer or MHU. If the service provider does, the MHUs are prewired. The provider can connect to the junction box under the unit. If there are issues, the survivor can contact his or her caseworker. Also, if the provider charges an installation fee, the survivor is responsible to pay the bill; the survivor is responsible for all monthly and one-time only charges associated with the account.


Myth: Survivors can move their privately-owned travel trailers into a FEMA temporary housing community.

Fact: Only agency-owned trailers are allowed in FEMA temporary housing communities.


Myth: Anyone can stay with a survivor/survivor’s family in a FEMA trailer or MHU.

Fact: Only those individuals named on the survivor’s Manufactured Housing Unit Revocable License and Receipt for Government Property (Revocable License) Agreement can stay in a FEMA trailer or MHU with a survivor. The Licensee must notify FEMA in writing within seven days if there is any change in occupancy. The request must first be approved by FEMA prior to any new occupant moving-in.


All FEMA disaster assistance will be provided without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, sex (including sexual harassment), religion, national origin, age, disability, limited English proficiency, economic status, or retaliation. If you believe your civil rights are being violated, call 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585(TTY/TDD).

FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during, and after disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2019 - 20:31