Main Content

FEMA reminds applicants – Stay in Touch

Release date: 
July 10, 2019
Release Number: 
FEMA DR-4413-AK NR 033

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Alaska residents are working hard on their recovery from the Nov. 30 earthquake. While the application period has ended, if you have an application on file, you can get questions answered, submit appeal letters and request extensions to submit documents. But we need to hear from you.


If you disagree with a decision on your FEMA application, you can appeal. Applicants have 60 days from the date on their FEMA decision letter to appeal. If you submit an appeal after the 60-day mark, be sure to include the reason for the delay—for example, if previously unknown damages are identified or if a contractor just became available to provide an estimate.


Here in Alaska, a common cause for an appeal is to request additional funding for repairs to an earthquake-damaged foundation. To appeal, you should submit a contractor’s written estimate specifically for foundation repairs with a signed letter explaining the shortfall. If you experience delays in getting a contractor estimate (no contractor immediately available, for example), you should contact the FEMA Helpline to explain the reason for the delay.

To date, more than 300 families have submitted that documentation and received additional funding specifically for foundation repair.


We can’t help you if we can’t find you. If you change your address or phone number, please update FEMA with the information. Missing or incorrect information could result in delays in receiving assistance or finalizing your application.


For help on how to submit an appeal or to update your contact information, call the disaster assistance helpline at 800-621-3362 (FEMA). TTY users may call 800-462-7585. Hours are 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.

# # #

FEMA's mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.


Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has faced discrimination, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-3362 (FEMA), voice/VP/711. Multilingual operators are available. TTY users may call 800-462-7585.


The U.S. Small Business Administration is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955. TTY users may also call 800-877-8339. Applicants may also email or visit SBA at .

Last Updated: 
July 10, 2019 - 17:39