DURHAM, N.C. – Onslow County will receive more than $1.5 million in assistance to help recover from Hurricane Florence.
Funds will reimburse the county for emergency response and protective measures taken during the 2018 storm. These activities included search and rescue operations, sheltering, and equipment and commodities for an emergency command center.
FEMA’s Public Assistance program provides grants for state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations to reimburse the cost of debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent repair work.
Public Assistance is a cost-sharing program. FEMA reimburses applicants at least 75 percent of eligible costs, and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state of North Carolina. FEMA’s share for this project is nearly $1.1 million. The federal share is paid directly to the state, which disburses funds to agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.
For information on North Carolina’s recovery from Hurricane Florence, visit ncdps.gov/Florence and FEMA.gov/Disaster/4393. Follow us on Twitter: @NCEmergency and @FEMARegion4.
FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during and after disasters.