Main Content

FEMA Awards $1,477,241 Grant to the City of Des Plaines

Release date: 
May 28, 2019
Release Number: 
RV-NR-2019-20

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,477,241 in Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) funds to the City of Des Plaines, Ill., for the construction of a floodwall to protect one of the city’s fire stations.

“The Pre-Disaster Mitigation program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V Administrator James K. Joseph. “This floodwall will protect the fire station from flood damage, lessening the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“This is a project several years in the making,” said Alicia Tate-Nadeau, Director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. “The agency’s mission is to help local governments identify mitigation projects that will reduce or eliminate long-term risks from all hazards, including floods.”

PDM provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through PDM, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1,969,655 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $492,414, will be provided by the City of Des Plaines.

FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.

                                                                                                                        ###
 
Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  The social media links provided are for reference only.  FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
September 9, 2019 - 10:10