Main Content


Release date: 
May 2, 2019
Release Number: 
DR 4420 NE FS 012

 USDA: Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS)

Log Jams / Debris Removal - Debris blockage must be restricting at least 50% of the bank-full flow of the channel or debris must be located such that it is diverting channel flows and jeopardizing public infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.). The majority of the debris must have accumulated during the disaster event.

Stream Bank Stabilization - The bank instability must have been created or the rate of bank erosion accelerated by the current event and is threatening or jeopardizing public infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.).

Road Crossings at channel - If the bridge or culvert is completely removed by the event, there is no infrastructure to protect and the site would not be eligible. If the sponsor replaces the crossing, EWP can be used to assist with the protection of the site for future events. Replacement of a culvert that failed because it was not structurally sound is not eligible. EWP can be used to assist with the protection of bridges that are structurally sound but have incurred scouring or similar issues from the disaster.

Levees Repairs - Contact the NRCS EWP Program Manager for guidance Drainage Ditches - Contact the NRCS EWP Program Manager for guidance

Nebraska National Resources Commission
Water Sustainability Fund (WSF) can be used for up to 60% of local sponsor’s final cost, but not against local share requirements of other grants like Nebraska Environmental Trust. Federal requirements for local (state) cost share would be eligible under WSF rules.

Storm Recovery and Flooding in Nebraska: Environmental Guidance

Debris Management – NDEQ is the state agency that regulates the management and disposal of solid waste. Natural disaster debris (branches, trees, brush waste, demolition debris, household and chemical waste, landfill banned waste, asbestos and hazardous waste) must be managed in accordance with Title 132 – Integrated Solid Waste Management Regulations. For more information, go to: Natural Disaster Debris Management.

Open Burning – NDEQ enforces state regulations pertaining to open fires. Although open fires are generally prohibited statewide, there are allowable exceptions that require two permits, from NDEQ and local fire authorities. For more information, go to Open Burning

Orphaned Tanks

The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality is partnering with the Environmental Protection Agency to identify, report and remove containers of potentially hazardous materials that were displaced by the March 2019 floods. Orphaned containers include propane tanks, drums and totes that may hold hazardous substances. Nebraskans are asked to only report containers larger than 20-pound propane tanks. If possible, include pictures when reporting these objects. A copy of the EPA form “Orphaned Container Spill Form”,can be found at the bottom of this page.

Dealing With Household Hazardous Chemicals After a Flood - NDEQ provides the following tips for handling household chemicals, when cleaning up after a flood: • If you come across damaged containers and chemicals following the flood, extreme caution should be used. Do not combine products. Household hazardous wastes should be separated from other wastes before disposal. Do not dump chemicals down drains, storm sewers or toilets. Never burn these products.

•If the chemicals can no longer be used, the preferred method of disposal is to take these wastes to a household hazardous waste collection site. Or, individuals can send these household wastes to a municipal landfill.

Asbestos – Nebraska Health and Human Services reminds property owners and contractors that before they begin demolition or renovation of a project (by anyone other than a homeowner) in that person’s residential property, they must have a thorough inspection for asbestos- containing material. If asbestos is found, it may be disposed of in a permitted municipal solid waste area. For more information, go to NDEQ’s documents: Natural Disaster Debris Management and General Asbestos Information.

Those who find these containers, also called orphaned containers, can report them to their county emergency manager or call the NDEQ hotline at 1-877-253-2603. Once the containers are reported, the EPA will make a record of it and arrange for a contractor to remove them. Nebraskans are asked to provide information on any displaced containers on their property or in their communities by May 3.

Avoid Contact with Floodwaters – The public should avoid contact with floodwaters, including water from the river, standing waters and backwaters. Floodwaters can have dangerous currents that may not be obvious. Additionally there may be hazards of pathogens, petroleum products, chemicals and many other possible contaminants in the water. If you have been in contact with floodwaters, avoid touching your mouth or eyes, and try to thoroughly wash off as quickly as possible.

Sandbag Re-use and Disposal – NDEQ has developed a Fact Sheet to provide Nebraskans information to help manage sandbags and sand that have been in contact with floodwaters. For more information, go to Floodwater Sandbag Re-use and Disposal.

Wastewater bypasses – For general information, go to Questions and Answers Regarding Wastewater Bypasses During a Flood. NDEQ provides guidance to local officials considering a wastewater bypass in the document Information for Those Considering Bypassing Wastewater Treatment Plants. Livestock discharges -- If a livestock waste facility has a discharge, the operation must submit the following form to DEQ: Notification of Discharge of Livestock Waste.

Flood Preparation -- By planning ahead, homeowners and businesses can help protect the environment and make the cleanup easier when they return. For more information, go to Pollution Prevention Tips for Homeowners Preparing to Evacuate from Flood.

US Army Corps of Engineers

Levee Safety Program: The Levee Safety Program (in accordance with Public Law 84-99) provides federal rehabilitation assistance for eligible flood risk reduction structures. Communities should contact their local USACE District for questions.

PL 84-99 is the USACE Emergency Management authority. During natural disasters and other emergencies, USACE can respond under its own authority, Public Law 84-99; as a component of the Department of Defense; and as the designated lead agency in support of FEMA for Emergency Support Function Number 3, Public Works and Engineering (ESF #3.)

National Levee Database: Includes attributes of levees and floodwalls relevant to flood fighting, design, construction, operation, maintenance, repair and inspection.

Technical Authorities: Planning Assistance to States (Section 22) allows the Corps to provide technical planning assistance to states, public entities within states and federally-recognized Indian Tribes in the preparation of plans for the development, utilization and conservation of water and related land resources. Cost share is 50% federal, 50% non-federal. Floodplain Management Services (FPMS) allows the Corps to provide a full range of flood risk information, technical services and planning guidance to support and promote effective floodplain and flood risk management. All FPMS Program activities provided to state, regional and local governments or other non- federal public agencies are 100 percent federally funded, within program funding limits.

Communities should contact their local USACE District for questions or to request assistance through Project or Technical Authorities.

This publication presents an overview of the many laws and requirements for environmental clearance of FEMA Public Assistance projects. There are many other details not here that may prove useful for environmental compliance. The FEMA staff in the Joint Field office in Lincoln is available to answer any questions you may have and to direct you to other resources that may be needed to ensure that all environmental considerations are explored for FEMA funded projects.

Federal Agencies

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Levee Safety Program Missions/Civil-Works/LeveeSafety-Program/

Public Law 84-99 Media/Fact-Sheets/Fact-SheetArticle-View/Article/475476/ emergency-response/

National Levee Database


Project Authorities

General Investigations Missions/Civil-Works/Planning/ Project-Authorities/GeneralInvestigations/

Continuing Authorities Missions/CivilWorks/Planning/ ProjectAuthorities/ContinuingAuthorities.aspx

Technical Authorities Planning Assistance to States AND Floodplain Management Services https:// Missions/Civil-Works/Planning/ Project-Authorities/

Silver Jackets State-Teams/Nebraska


Federal Agencies

USDA - Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS)

General Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWPP) portal/nrcs/main/ne/programs/ financial/ewp/

EWPP Synopsis PA_NRCSConsumption/ download? cid=nrcseprd1450220&ext=pd f

EWPP “Sponsor Guide”

https:// PA_NRCSConsumption/ download? cid=nrcseprd1450219&ext=pd


State Agencies

Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality  Storm Recovery and Flooding in Nebraska:

Environmental Guidance OnWeb/Disaster Nebraska Natural Resource Commission Project sponsors interested in applying for a Water Sustainability Fund (WSF) grant should visit the Nebraska Natural Resources Commission’s website at: https://

To determine if the project you are proposing is eligible and to understand the NRC’s application scoring process please review the following:

Rules Title261WSFRulesACCEPTED20 18 0221.pdf

Guidelines WSFGuidelinesRevisedMarch20 19. pdf



Last Updated: 
May 2, 2019 - 15:16