Main Content

Fact Sheet: Housing Resources for Residents of Nebraska affected by the March Storms

Release date: 
April 19, 2019
Release Number: 
DR 4420 NE FS 007

Nebraska is leading a Housing Task Force in partnership with FEMA and other agencies to address housing shortages and unmet needs in Nebraska communities affected by flooding. Here are some resources:


Contact 2-1-1

211 is a free community resource hotline available to the public with multilingual access. By dialing or texting 211 you will be connected with a trained operator to help assess your needs, provide information and offer referrals to human services. Hours are Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.; Saturday: 8 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


The 211 service is provided statewide in Nebraska. The public can also access the resource database online at You can also call (866) 813-1731.


Services at 2-1-1: Housing services include:

  • Rental Assistance
  • Utility Assistance
  • Home Mortgage Assistance
  • Legal Assistance
  • Landlord/Tenant Mediation
  • Low Cost Rental Housing
  • Section 8 Housing
  • Sweat Equity Programs
  • Minor Home Maintenance and Repair Services
  • Home Rehabilitation Services
  • Weatherization Tips
  • Furnace Repair Programs


Nebraska Realtors

The Nebraska REALTORS® Association and the Home Buyer's Assistance Foundation have partnered with the REALTORS® Relief Foundation to help with mortgage payment assistance or rental cost due to home displacement. The foundation offers up to $1,000 for survivors affected by the Nebraska flood. 

Please see application for complete details and requirements. Please click here for the grant application.


For more information call 402-323-6500 or go online to


Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (NIFA)

In response to the Major Disaster Declaration announced on March 21, 2019, NIFA is launching the Natural Disaster Program (NDP) to provide $3 million in loan financing to eligible borrowers for the purchase of an existing or new construction property located in Nebraska.


Questions can be answered by the Homeownership Team via email at or by phone at (402) 434-3900.


The Nebraska Investment Finance Authority has notified owners of rental housing developments that under Internal Revenue Procedure (IRP) 2014-49 they may offer displaced individual’s emergency temporary housing without regard to income requirements.


Displaced individuals who are seeking housing can access the list of approved properties at Another valuable resource for those seeking a rental unit is


Send any questions or inquiries regarding to the Nebraska Investment Finance Authority online at or call 402-434-3900.


U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development

USDA provides housing assistance to rural communities through the Rural Development housing assistance website. Visit for information.


        • Nebraskans can find available rental listings by county.
        • The site also provides current information about single- and multi-family homes and farms and ranches for sale by the U.S. federal government.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is providing financial support to homeowners and low-income renters affected by severe winter storms, straight-line winds, and flooding. HUD is:

  • Providing immediate foreclosure relief - HUD's automatic 90-day moratorium on foreclosures of Federal Housing Administration (FHA)-insured homes began March 21. For assistance, call your loan servicer or FHA's Resource Center at 800-304-9320;
  • Making mortgage insurance available - HUD's Section 203(h) program provides FHA insurance to disaster survivors whose homes were destroyed or damaged. Borrowers from participating FHA-approved lenders are eligible for 100 percent financing, including closing costs.
  • Making insurance available for both mortgages and home rehabilitation - HUD's Section 203(k) loan program enables those who have lost their home to finance the purchase of, or refinance of, a house along with repair through a single mortgage. It also allows homeowners who have damaged houses to finance the rehabilitation of their existing single-family home; and
  • Making information on housing providers and HUD programs available - The department will share information with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the State of Nebraska on housing providers that may have available units in the impacted counties. This includes Public Housing Agencies and Multi-Family owners. The Department will also connect FEMA and the state to subject matter experts to provide information on HUD programs and providers.


Social Serve

Nationwide Housing Locator Services. Survivors can find online housing information and toll-free bilingual service at:

  • Phone: 704.334.8722 
  • Fax: 704.334.0779
  • Toll-Free: 877.428.8844 
  • Toll-Free Fax: 866.265.7811

Note: We are providing the above link(s) for your reference. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.





Last Updated: 
May 22, 2019 - 16:18