RALEIGH, N.C. – If you are a North Carolina homeowner, renter or business owner who sustained property damage or loss caused by Hurricane Florence you have two weeks left to register and apply for federal disaster assistance.
The deadline to register for assistance from FEMA and to apply for low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018.
Survivors should register even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but eligible homeowners and renters may be able to receive money from FEMA for losses not covered by insurance to help pay for basic home repairs, temporary rental assistance and other needs such as replacing personal property. FEMA Individual Assistance is grant money that does not have to be repaid.
Individuals and businesses in counties included in the North Carolina federal disaster declaration for Hurricane Florence may still register for assistance by:
- Calling the disaster assistance helpline at 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY) anytime from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. local time seven days a week until further notice. Multilingual operators are available.
- You can update your contact information, ask questions about a letter from FEMA, get information about FEMA home inspections, or learn how to appeal a FEMA decision.
- Going online to DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Downloading the FEMA mobile app.
- Downloading the ReadyNC app.
- Visiting any of the recovery centers that remain open. To find center locations and current hours, download the FEMA mobile app, the ReadyNC app, or visit FEMA.gov/DRC. Center hours and operations are adjusted based on visitor demand. The centers are open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Saturday, until further notice. All are closed Sundays.
- In-person American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters are available by calling or texting 202-655-8824. Go online to watch a video on how to Request an American Sign Language interpreter.
If you have questions about a U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loan, you may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting SBA’s website at www.sba.gov/disaster. People who are deaf and hard-of-hearing may call 800-877-8339.
If you have unmet disaster-related needs, you may call the statewide referral service at 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162 (TTY), or text Florence to 898211.
FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during and after disasters.