Main Content

Florence Survivors Who Received HUD Assistance May Be Eligible For FEMA Help

Release date: 
October 16, 2018
Release Number: 
DR-4393-NC NR 044

RALEIGH, N.C. – If you were receiving U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development rental assistance and were displaced by Hurricane Florence, you may be eligible for help from FEMA.

If you live in one of the 31 counties designated for FEMA Individual Assistance and were receiving rental assistance from HUD prior to Hurricane Florence, you should register for federal assistance if you were forced from your HUD-assisted housing. This includes displaced residents who were:

  • Living in HUD-assisted public housing.
  • Living in a privately-owned apartment that provides rental assistance from HUD.
  • Living in a private home using a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher from a housing authority.

Some of the assistance you may be eligible for includes:

  • Temporary rental assistance to help pay for a place for you and your family to live.
  • Grants to replace essential contents—such as clothing and essential household items—and reimburse you for serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance.

If you received HUD rental assistance you may receive FEMA help to pay for a place to live until:

  • You relocate back to public housing.
  • You relocate back to the private housing that provides HUD assistance.
  • You sign a lease with a private property owner using a Section 8 voucher.

Federal law prevents FEMA from duplicating benefits provided by another agency. When your HUD-assisted home becomes unlivable, HUD stops paying rental assistance for that residence. You may then apply for FEMA Individual Assistance. There is no duplication of benefits because HUD is not paying rental assistance.

When you move back into a HUD-assisted residence, or sign a new lease for rental housing under the Section 8 program, HUD assistance resumes. At that point, you will no longer receive FEMA assistance.

If you were a renter receiving HUD assistance and you face eviction or have been evicted from your storm-damaged apartment complex—whether your unit had damage or not—you may be eligible for disaster assistance from FEMA or other federal partners.

You should take your eviction notice to a state/FEMA Disaster Recovery Center, a one-stop shop to access services from federal, state, and local agencies. To find a center, visit  or download the FEMA mobile app.

Need an American Sign Language Interpreter? There are iPads located in the Disaster Recovery Centers where a remote Video Relay Interpreter can provide communication access. If an onsite interpreter is preferred or needed, please call or text 202-655-8824. If possible, please allow at least 24 hours to schedule an interpreter.

HUD also offers foreclosure relief for FHA-insured families.

Register online at or call 800-621-3362 (voice, 711 or VRS) or 800-462-7585 (TTY) anytime from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. local time seven days a week until further notice. Multilingual operators are available.



FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during and after disasters.


For more information on North Carolina’s recovery from Hurricane Florence, visit and Follow us on Twitter: @NCEmergency and @FEMARegion4.

Last Updated: 
October 16, 2018 - 18:30