Main Content

Finding Assistance after Hurricane Michael

Release date: 
October 12, 2018
Release Number: 
R4-DR-4399-FL NR-001

ATLANTA – If you are a Florida homeowner or renter whose home is damaged, unsafe, or inaccessible because of Hurricane Michael, resources are available to help get you on the road to recovery.


Do you have insurance? If you have a homeowner’s or flood insurance policy, file your insurance claim immediately before applying for disaster assistance. Get the process started quickly. The faster you file, the faster your recovery can begin.


If you cannot return to your home, or if you are unable to live in your home because of disaster damage, visit, or call 800-621-3362 (800-462-7585 TTY) (multilingual operators are available) to determine if state, voluntary, and local organizations are in your community to address your immediate needs.


If you can return to your home and it is safe, has working power, water, and sewer or septic service, visit to determine if state, voluntary, and local organizations are in your community can address any unmet needs.


Disaster assistance is available to affected individuals in Bay, Franklin, Gulf, Taylor, and Wakulla counties. Additional counties may be added later.


If you are in one of these counties, you will need the following to apply for assistance:

  • Social Security Number;
  • Daytime telephone number;
  • Current mailing address and address and zip code of the damaged property; and
  • Insurance information, if available.


Although the federal government cannot make you whole, it may help your recovery move forward by providing grants for basic repairs to make your home safe, sanitary and secure.


FEMA assistance may also provide temporary help with a place for you and your family to stay while you build your recovery plan.


After registering for disaster assistance, you may be referred to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). In times of disasters, the SBA offers low-interest loans for businesses, homeowners and renters. The SBA will contact you with information on how to apply. There’s no obligation to accept a loan, but you may miss out on the largest source of federal disaster recovery funds if you don’t submit an application.


Information about low-interest SBA disaster loans and application forms are available online at You may also call 800-659-2955 or email If you use TTY, call 800-877-8339.




Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.


FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.


Last Updated: 
October 21, 2018 - 16:58