Main Content

If You Didn’t Register With FEMA, You Didn’t Register

Release date: 
August 7, 2018
Release Number: 

AUSTIN, Texas— If you were affected by the severe storms and flooding of June 19 – July 13, 2018, and need federal assistance, and you didn’t register directly with FEMA, you are not registered.


To be considered for aid from FEMA, you must register by going online to or by visiting a disaster recovery center. The deadline to register for disaster assistance from FEMA for Hidalgo, Cameron and Jim Wells County flood survivors is Sept. 4, 2018. 


Two common misconceptions regarding registering are:

  • Applying for disaster assistance with other agencies or organizations registers you for FEMA disaster assistance. It does not.
    • For example, applying with your city’s emergency management agency, the Red Cross, or any other charitable organization does not register you with FEMA.
  • Having FEMA flood insurance registers you for disaster assistance. It does not. It also does not disqualify you from applying for assistance. Flood insurance claims are handled separately and you may find that you had uninsured losses.

If you haven’t registered because English is not your first language, don’t let that stop you.  If you or someone you know needs language assistance, FEMA has interpreters who speak many languages. These are available through the Helpline and in any disaster recovery center and can help you in the registration process.


You may apply if you are a non-citizen national with a Social Security number or a qualified alien who holds permanent residency, refugee, or asylum status. If you are the parent of a U.S. citizen in your household, you may apply for federal disaster assistance on behalf of your child.


If you are a renter, you also may be eligible for federal disaster assistance.


Additional information about this disaster is available at or Survivors are encouraged to register with FEMA as soon as possible. You can register online at, on the FEMA Mobile App, or by calling 800-621-3362 (FEMA). Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may also call 800-621-3362. People who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability and use a TTY may call 800-462-7585. To locate a disaster recovery center, visit


Last Updated: 
August 7, 2018 - 14:51