GUAYNABO, Puerto Rico – FEMA has awarded nearly $219 million in additional Public
Assistance grants for Hurricane María recovery in Puerto Rico.
As of May 30, the FEMA Public Assistance program has obligated $2.2 billion in total funding
to the government of Puerto Rico and municipalities for debris removal and emergency
Emergency protective measures are actions taken to eliminate or lessen immediate threats either
to lives, public health or safety, or significant additional damage to public or private property in a
The following grants were recently approved:
- For emergency protective measures:
- Nearly $189.4 million to the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority
- More than $11 million to the Puerto Rico National Guard
- Nearly $1.6 million to the municipality of Yabucoa
- More than $1.4 million to the municipality of Gurabo
- More than $1.1 million to the municipality of Jayuya
- For debris removal:
- More than $3.3 million to the Puerto Rico Department of Sports and Recreation
- More than $3 million to the municipality of Guayanilla
- More than $2.4 million to the municipality of Dorado
- More than $1.6 million to the municipality of Santa Isabel
An additional $3.3 million was awarded for various smaller projects.
The Public Assistance program provides grants to eligible government organizations and certain
private non-profit organizations for debris removal, life-saving emergency protective measures
and the repair, replacement or restoration of disaster-damaged facilities. The program also
encourages protection of these damaged facilities by providing assistance for hazard mitigation
measures during the recovery process. The program is funded by FEMA and administered by the
government of Puerto Rico.
For more information on Hurricane María recovery, visit fema.gov/disaster/4339.
Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age,
disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated
against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362) 711/VRS - Video Relay Service). Multilingual
operators are available. (Press 2 for Spanish). TTY call 800-462-7585.