Main Content

Alabama Storm Survivors Should Register for Disaster Assistance

Release date: 
April 30, 2018
Release Number: 
DR-4362-AL NR 001

ATLANTA — Homeowners, renters and business owners in Calhoun, Cullman and Etowah counties affected by the March 19-20 severe storms and tornadoes are urged to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, for federal disaster assistance.  Assistance available to eligible individuals and businesses who sustained damages during those storms.

Individuals and businesses in Calhoun, Cullman and Etowah counties can begin the disaster assistance process by registering online at or by calling 800-621-3362, which is video relay service accessible. Survivors who are deaf, hard of hearing or who have difficulty speaking may call TTY 800-462-7585. Helpline hours are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, seven days a week until further notice.

Assistance may include grants for temporary housing, rental assistance and home repairs, and for other serious disaster-related needs, such as repairing or replacing damaged or destroyed personal property, and medical and dental expenses. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration may also be available to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance.

Alabama residents in Calhoun, Cullman and Etowah counties should register with FEMA after they have filed their insurance claim.  FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims are settled.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person registered with another disaster-relief organization. Federal disaster aid does not affect other government benefits, such as Social Security and Medicaid, and is not considered taxable income. Survivors must use the name that appears on their government photo ID when registering with FEMA.

Applicants will be asked for the following information:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where they can receive mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds.

FEMA and Alabama officials continue to review damages to facilities damaged by the severe weather.


Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s mission: Helping people before, during, and after disasters.

Follow us on Twitter at and the FEMA Blog at

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955 (Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339), emailing, or visiting SBA’s Web site at


Last Updated: 
April 30, 2018 - 15:56