GUAYNABO, Puerto Rico – FEMA recently awarded more than $90 million in additional Public Assistance grants for Hurricane María recovery in Puerto Rico.
To date, the FEMA Public Assistance program has obligated more than $1.4 billion in total funding to the government of Puerto Rico and municipalities for debris removal and emergency protective measures.
Emergency protective measures are actions taken to eliminate or lessen immediate threats either to lives, public health or safety, or of significant additional damage to public or private property in a cost-effective manner. The following grants were recently approved:
- $67.5 million to the Puerto Rico Department of Transportation and Public Works for island-wide debris removal from Commonwealth-owned roadways.
- More than $13.3 million to the Puerto Rico Police Department for emergency protective measures.
- More than $3.8 million to the Puerto Rico State Emergency Management Agency as reimbursement for activating emergency management assistance compacts with the states of Georgia and Maryland.
- More than $3.6 million to the Municipality of San Juan for debris removal.
- More than $2.8 million to the Puerto Rico National Guard for debris removal.
The Public Assistance program provides grants to eligible government organizations and certain private non-profit organizations for debris removal, life-saving emergency protective measures and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged facilities. The program also encourages protection of these damaged facilities from future events by providing assistance for hazard mitigation measures during the recovery process. The program is funded by FEMA and administered by the government of Puerto Rico.
For more information on Hurricane María recovery visit fema.gov/disaster/4339.
Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362) 711/VRS - Video Relay Service). Multilingual operators are available. (Press 2 for Spanish). TTY call 800-462-7585.