Main Content

FEMA Housing Help Temporary for Florida Hurricane Irma Survivors

Release date: 
February 6, 2018
Release Number: 
DR-4337-FL NR 157

Take Control of Recovery

ORLANDO, Fla. – Hurricane Irma survivors should continually work to return home since FEMA housing help is only temporary.

Federal disaster help with hotel stays, rental assistance, travel trailers and FEMA-paid apartments are just short-term solutions for survivors who are working to return home. This includes repairing or rebuilding their hurricane-damaged home or relocating to another long-term residence.

Hurricane Irma survivors who are getting FEMA help have many resources in Florida to support their recovery goals and move back home. Possible help with long-term housing plans includes:

  • Calling the FEMA help line at 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585.
  • Those who are working with FEMA case managers should contact them for guidance on developing realistic housing plans.
  • Calling 2-1-1 to connect with volunteer agencies that may help.
  • Going online to to find available housing.
  • Going online to to search the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for lenders that may help provide finances to rebuild a home. They may also call HUD at 800-569-4287 or TTY 800-877-8339.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been

discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.


Last Updated: 
February 6, 2018 - 11:55