Resources to Help Hurricane Maria Survivors
Survivors of Hurricane Maria and the devastating floods may require assistance from various organizations as they recover. The below organizations may provide help and support Puerto Rico residents in an assortment of ways.
Puerto Rico Emergency Resources
- Puerto Rico Government: http://www2.pr.gov/Pages/default.aspx
- Puerto Rico Police Force: 787-343-2020
- Puerto Rico Fire Department: 787-343-2330
- Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority (PRASA): 787-620-2482 http://www.acueductospr.com/
- Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA): 787-521-3434 https://www.aeepr.com/
- Puerto Rico Emergency Management Agency (PREMA): 787-521-3434 http://www2.pr.gov/agencias/aemead/Pages/Home.aspx
- Transportation Department (DTOP): 787-787-9918 and 787-225-1539 http://www.dtop.gov.pr/transporte_urbano/
- Registration: 800-621-3362, TTY: 800-462-7585
- Your Local Disaster Recovery Center: https://asd.fema.gov/inter/locator/home.htm
- FEMA Disaster Fraud Assistance: 866-720-5721 https://www.justice.gov/disaster-fraud
- FEMA Rumor Control: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/updates/hurricane-maria-rumor-control
- Red Cross: 787-757-8150 http://www.redcross.org/get-help/disaster-relief-and-recovery-services/find-an-open-shelter
- Red Cross Safe and Well: 800-733-2767 https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php
- Salvation Army: 787-999-7000 http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/
- United Way: 211 https://www.unitedway.org/
- Shelter Locator: http://temporadadehuracanes.gov.pr/map.html
- Small Business Administration: 800-659-2955, TTY: 800-877-8339 https://www.sba.gov
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance: Your Local Bureau of Employment Security (BES) Office or American Job Center
- Low Income Legal Services: 800-310-7029 https://www.disasterlegalaid.org/about
- Temporary Roofing: 888-766-3258 http://www.sad.usace.army.mil/BlueRoof
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 800-232-4636 https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/index.html
- Food and Drug Administration: https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm317232.htm
Hurricane Safety Resources:
- Disaster Distress Helpline: (787) 763-7575, or text Hablanos to 1-212-461-4635 http://www2.pr.gov/agencias/assmca/Pages/default.aspx
- Drinkable Water Safety: https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/drinking/emergency-water-supply-preparation.html
- General Safety: https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes
- Preparedness Information: https://www.fda.gov/EmergencyPreparedness/Counterterrorism/MedicalCountermeasures/MCMIssues/ucm464122.htm
- Generator Safety: https://www.cdc.gov/co/generatorsafetyfactsheet.html
- National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- Mold Safety: https://www.cdc.gov/mold/cleanup.htm
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/femaregion2
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/femapuertorico
- FEMA: www.fema.gov/hurricane-maria
NOTE: FEMA does not endorse any specific products or services.
# # #
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-3362 (voice, 711/VRS - Video Relay Service; TTY: 800-462-7585). Multilingual operators are available (press 2 for Spanish).
The SBA is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters, which can cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged real estate and personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.
The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.