Main Content

FEMA Awards $4.5 Million Grant to the City of Dearborn, Mich.

Release date: 
January 26, 2017
Release Number: 
RV-NR-2017-01

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $4,540,654 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to Dearborn, Mich., for the installation of an improved storm sewer network on the Beaumont Hospital property. The project’s intent is to reduce the risk of flooding by diverting storm water away from the hospital.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program helps create safer communities by reducing loss of life and property damage,” said Janet M. Odeshoo, acting regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The improvements to the storm sewer network will lessen the financial impact on the hospital and community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“This is a perfect example of what mitigation funding can do,” said Capt. Chris A. Kelenske, Deputy State Director of Emergency Management and Homeland Security and commander of the MSP/EMHSD. “I strongly encourage communities utilize the availability of these grants as they become available to lessen damages during future storm events.”

HMGP provides grants to state, local and tribal governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $6,054,205 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $1,513,551, will be provided by the City of Dearborn.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

###

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  The social media links provided are for reference only.  FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:01