Main Content

Replacing personal documents after a natural disaster

Release date: 
November 13, 2015
Release Number: 

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Wildfire survivors in Calaveras and Lake counties who lost important documents can use this guide to help obtain replacements.

All of the organizations listed below offer online resources. If personal computers aren’t available, public libraries and other agencies may have computers available to the general public.


Who to Contact for Replacement

EBT Card

California’s CalFresh is part of the federal program known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP – formerly known as Food Stamps). Lost EBT card replacements – Call

877-328-9677 right away, or contact your local county social services worker.

Birth and Death Certificates

Birth and Death Certificates-California Department of Public Health or online at or by calling 916-445-2684. $25 fee for replacement.

Lost Green Card

Go to and complete the Form I-90, application to replace a permanent resident card, and file it online or by mail. Call 800-375-5283 to check the status of your application.

California Driver License

Visit a California DMV office to complete an application. Replacement license forms must be delivered in person. For more information, call 800-777-0133.


Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards, or Safe Deposit Boxes

Contact your financial institution or get contact information from the FDIC by calling 877-275-3342 or going to




Credit Cards




Contact the issuing institution:

American Express 800-992-3404 or

Discover 800-347-2683 or

Master Card 800-622-7747 or

Visa 800-847-2911 or

NOTE: If you don't remember all the credit cards you had, obtain a credit report from any of the three major credit bureaus.

Credit Report

Equifax, Experian or TransUnion 877-322-8228 or

Social Security Card

Social Security 800-772-1213 or

Fraud Alerts or a Credit Freeze

Fraud Alerts: Call the identity theft helpline at 877-438-4338; contact the FTC at:

Medicare Cards

Social Security Administration 800 772-1213 or


U.S. Department of State, Passport Services, Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section 202-955-0430 or 877-487-2778 or

U.S. Savings Bonds

U.S. Department of Treasury 800-722-2678 or

Tax Returns

Internal Revenue Service 800-829-1040 or download the Request for Copy of Tax Return at

Military Records

National Archives and Records Administration

866-272-6272 or

The deadline to register with FEMA for disaster assistance is Monday Nov. 23. Survivors can register online at or by calling 800-621-3362; TTY 800-462-7585; 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

For more information on California’s wildfire recovery, visit: and follow us on Twitter @cal_OES, and on For FEMA, go to and follow us on Twitter @femaregion9 and at

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who are referred to SBA for a disaster loan must apply to be eligible for additional FEMA assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.


Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:04