Main Content

Texas Privately Owned Road and Bridge Repair

Release date: 
August 3, 2015
Release Number: 

FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program grants may be used to repair disaster-damaged privately owned access roads if:

  • The survivor meets all of the basic eligibility criteria for the Individuals and Households Program assistance

  • The survivor is the homeowner, and the home is their primary residence

In addition, the road/bridge repairs must meet at least one of the following:

  • The road/bridge is the only access to the property

  • The home cannot be accessed due to damaged infrastructure

  • The safety of the occupants could be adversely affected without the repairs.

The eligible grant is based on specific repair items, disaster-related, and limited to the minimum repairs necessary to enable an applicant to access their residence. Repairs must satisfy all environmental and local, state and federal requirements, including permits.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), FEMA’s federal partner in disaster recovery, also may be able to help. Private property owners, established homeowner associations and properties governed by covenant may apply for low-interest disaster loans directly through SBA. These funds can be used to repair or replace private roads and bridges. Privately owned access roads owned by homeowner associations may also apply directly to the SBA.

Homeowners who share access roads and bridges with other homeowners or families, may be eligible for repair grants or SBA loans under certain circumstances. In some cases, sharing the cost of repairs with funds obtained through a combination of FEMA, SBA loans, and private funds may be another option.

  • Awards will be made separately to eligible applicants who share the access route if they provide a statement to FEMA that they will use the award to make repairs to the access route, and

  • They understand that they are responsible for securing permits and complying with local codes and ordinances.

  • They do not have an established Homeowners Association (HOA) or Covenant responsible for repair of the access route; or

  • The established HOA or covenant responsible for the repair of the access route is unable to receive assistance from the SBA or private insurance.

Each affected homeowner should register with FEMA individually. Requests for private road or bridge repair assistance are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

  • Repair grants will not include improvements to the access route’s pre-disaster condition unless improvements are required by current State and/or local building codes.

  • An applicant with access and functional needs, such as a physical disability that requires access for a particular vehicle, may be approved for additional funds to improve the access if required for safe passage.

  • Assistance for an access road cannot exceed the combined maximum grant to all eligible applicants.

If the cost of repairs exceeds the funding FEMA can award, FEMA may be able to refer applicants to other federal or voluntary agencies for additional assistance. Applicants are urged to stay in touch with FEMA.

To discuss their circumstances, survivors should call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362. Disaster assistance applicants who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 800-462-7585.


NOTE: link to Privately Owned Access Routes

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. 

The SBA is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955, emailing, or visiting SBA’s website at Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for childcare, medical, dental expenses and/or funeral expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, those who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, transportation, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

For more information on Texas recovery, visit the disaster web page at, Twitter at and the Texas Division of Emergency Management website, Visit  for publications and reference material on rebuilding and repairing safer and stronger.


Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:05