Main Content

FEMA Awards $454,808 Grant to Vernon County: Hazard mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish seven flood prone structures

Release date: 
November 14, 2014
Release Number: 
RV-NR-2014-60

CHICAGO –The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $454,808 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to Vernon County, Wis., for the acquisition and demolition of seven residential structures in the floodplain. Following demolition, these properties located in the Town of Webster and Town of Christiana will be maintained as permanent open space in the community.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V acting administrator Janet Odeshoo.  “The acquisition and demolition of these structures permanently removes them from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“These homes have flooded several times in recent years,” said Wisconsin Emergency Management Administrator Brian Satula.  “Through this voluntary buyout program, we are reducing the risks of future flood damage and helping these homeowners move from the floodplain.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $606,410 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $151,602, will be provided by the Wisconsin Emergency Management Agency and Vernon County.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

###

FEMA Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455
WEM Media Contact: Lori Getter, (608) 242-3239 

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:06