Main Content

FEMA Awards $2,889,864 Grant to Village of Lisle: Hazard mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish 13 flood prone structures and elevate six structures

Release date: 
November 14, 2014
Release Number: 
RV-NR-2014-59

CHICAGO –The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $2,889,864 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the village of Lisle, Ill., for the acquisition and demolition of 13 residential structures in the floodplain. In addition, six structures will be elevated three feet above the base flood elevation along the east branch of the DuPage River.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V acting administrator Janet Odeshoo.  “The projects funded by this program will greatly reduce the financial impact on individuals and the Lisle community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

"Approval of this grant is good news for these Lisle residents who have been devastated by flooding many times in the past," said Jonathon Monken, director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.  "The grant will enable them to move out of the floodplain and avoid future heartache and property losses."

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $3,853,152 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $963,288, will be provided by the village of Lisle.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

###

Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:06