Main Content

FEMA Awards $914,519 Grant to McHenry County: Hazard mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish 10 flood prone structures

Release date: 
June 20, 2014
Release Number: 

CHICAGO –The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $914,519 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to McHenry County, Ill., for the acquisition and demolition of 10 residential structures in the Nippersink Creek floodplain. Following demolition, these properties will be maintained as permanent open space in the community.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V Acting Administrator Janet Odeshoo.  “The acquisition and demolition of these structures permanently removes them from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“Approval of this grant is good news for these McHenry County residents who have been devastated by flooding many times in the past,” said Jonathon Monken, director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. “The grant will enable them to move out of the floodplain and avoid future heartache and property losses.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1,219,359 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $304,840, will be provided by non-federal sources.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at,, and  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455




Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:06